How to renew a license
Are you REAL ID ready?
If your New York State license or ID does not have a star or a flag on it, then you do not have a REAL ID compliant document.
Starting October 2020, you must have a REAL ID compliant document (or a passport) to fly. You will not be allowed to board a plane using your regular ('Standard') license or ID. Learn more about REAL ID or Enhanced Licenses, Permits and IDs.
Once renewed, your license expiration date will be extended for 8 years.
Renew at an office and get an Enhanced or REAL ID
Complete this guide to make sure you have the proofs of identification and paperwork you need before you come to DMV. You can make a reservation at some DMV locations after completing the guide. You do not need a reservation to visit the DMV.
You can take a vision test at the DMV, for no additional charge.
You will receive a temporary license to use until your new license arrives by mail within 10 business days.
You must renew at a DMV office if you
Follow these 3 steps to renew online and keep your current document type
If you already have an Enhanced or REAL ID, or you want to keep your Standard, you can renew online. Your document type will stay the same.
Step 1: Pass an eye test by an approved provider, like a pharmacy (find a test location now), or have a professional complete a paper report.
Step 3: Download and print a temporary license in PDF format to use until your new license arrives. It will arrive in the mail within 10 business days.
Renew by mail
If you already have an Enhanced or REAL ID, or you want to keep your Standard, you can renew by mail. Your document type will stay the same.
Complete the renewal notice we mailed you and return it with
- a completed Vision Test Report (PDF) (MV-619) - or get tested by an approved vision registry provider (find a test location now)
- a check or money order payable to ‘Commissioner of Motor Vehicles’
If you did not receive a renewal notice, you can use an Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (PDF) (MV-44)
NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
207 Genesee Street, Suite 6
Utica, NY 13501-2874
Your renewal fee is on the renewal application we mail you and displayed before you pay online. They are also listed on the chart below for different types of licenses. The fees listed include the photo document fee and the supplemental Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee, if required.
The additional fee for an enhanced driver licensed (EDL) is $30.00 . The fee is added to the renewal fees for the driver license. There is no additional fee for a REAL ID, just the normal renewal fee will be charged.
|Driver License Class||Fee||+ MCTD Fee|
|A, B or C |
Commercial Driver License (CDL)
|D or DJ||$64.50||$80.50|
|M or MJ||$72.50||$88.50|
If you have any other class combined with Class M or MJ (example: DM), add an additional $8.00 to the fee above.
If you apply by mail or at a DMV office, you can pay by credit/debit card or a check or money order made out to Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. To apply online, you must use a credit/debit card. The DMV accepts:
- American Express® Card
- Discover Card®/Novus®
- MasterCard® Debit card without personal identification number (PIN)
- VISA® Card
- Visa Debit Card without personal identification number (PIN)
Veteran status designation
If you are a qualified U.S. military veteran who was honorably discharged, and you have a NY State driver license, learner permit or non-driver photo ID card, you can have the word "Veteran" printed on the upper left hand of your photo document.
There is no additional fee for the veteran status designation on your document, but all regular transaction fees will apply.
Learn how to get the veteran status on your license.
If you are active in the military, please see our military resources for more information on renewing- and thank you for your service!
Your new license will come in about 10 business days
Your address must match the one on our records
You can first change your address online and then renew. There is no guarantee that the US Postal Service will forward your DMV documents to your new address.
If you are turning 21 soon
Out of the state or country
- the renewal notice we mailed you (MV-2) or if you don't have it, use the Application for Permit, Driver License, or Non-driver ID (PDF) (MV-44)
- a Vision Test Report (PDF) (MV-619) completed by an eye care professional
- a check or money order payable to ‘Commissioner of Motor Vehicles’
Send us a pre-addressed priority mail return envelope with your application. This will help ensure that we send your license to the correct address.
Temporary Visitors and international students who have a REAL ID
As long as the Temporary Visitor status that DMV has on file is not expired you can renew your license online, through the mail or in an office.
If your Temporary Visitor status has been extended, you must go to a DMV office with your updated paperwork from the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We will update our records to show that your Temporary Visitor status has been extended so you can renew your license. Your new license will have your new temporary visitor expiration date.
Changing license class when renewing
You cannot change the class when you renew online. You can make these changes when you renew by mail or at a DMV office.
|CDL Class A, B, or C||Class D, E, or Non-commercial Class C|
|Non-Commercial Class C or Class E||Class D|
|Non-Commercial Class C||Class E|
|Class D||Class E|
If you renew
- by mail, include a note about your class change in your renewal envelope
- at a DMV office, tell the DMV representative about the change
You will need to pay the renewal fee for your new driver license class.
If you drive with expired license get a traffic ticket, you will receive fines and penalties
- 60 days or less after the expiration date: $25 to $40 plus state and local surcharges
- more than 60 days after the expiration date: $75 to $300 plus state and local surcharges
- 2. Renewal anytime within this period will not affect the expiration date of your new driver license or the fees.
If your license is expired for 2 years or more, you must apply for an original license. You must pass the vision test and the written test, complete a pre-licensing course and pass a Road Test. See Get a driver license.
- 3. Starting in October 2020, you will need an Enhanced or REAL ID to board a domestic flight (unless you have a passport).
If your license was issued before October 30, 2017 and is not Enhanced, you have a Standard document. Newly issued Standard documents show: 'NOT FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES'.
If you want to renew in an office and keep your Standard document type, follow these steps:
Step 1: Complete the renewal notice (MV-2) we mailed you.
- if you did not receive a renewal notice, you can use an Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (MV-44)
Step 2: Come to an office. Bring
- your current Standard license
- your renewal notice or application
Newly issued Standard licenses show: 'NOT FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES'.
- 5. See information about how to renew a CDL.
You can have a Vision Test Report (PDF) (MV-619) completed by a medical professional listed below, and then enter the report information on the online transaction. You do not need to mail or bring us the report if you renew online.
- physician's assistant
- registered nurse
- nurse professional
- 7. At the start of your online renewal transaction, you will be asked if you would like to register to vote or change your party designation. You are not required to register to vote, but you will be required to answer the question to proceed with your transaction. If you answer yes, you will complete your voter registration application as part of your renewal transaction.
- 8. Residents of the following counties must pay a supplemental Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee: Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island); Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester.
The MCTD fee is $1.00 for every 6 months the permit or driver license will be in effect. For an 8-year driver license, the MCTD fee is $16.
- 9. If you have a Class A, B or C with an endorsement of H or X, you must pass the hazardous materials knowledge test at a DMV office within 2 years before your renewal and pay an additional fee of $5 for the test.
- 10. If your renewal is processed less than 40 days before your birthday, we will mail you a driver license without the words “UNDER 21” on or near the date of your birthday.
- 11. You can renew online if you are away and
- have a valid NY driver license
- have had an eye exam from the last 12 months saved to the DMV Vision Registry.
However, your license will not be forwarded to you out of state or out of the country.