How to replace a license or permit


You can replace your license or permit (including commercial , REAL ID or Enhanced) if

  • it was lost, stolen or destroyed
  • you updated your address
  • you are turning 21 soon: If you replace more than 40 days before your 21st birthday, your license will still display “UNDER 21”. If you renew fewer than 40 days before your 21st birthday, your license will not display “UNDER 21”.


Note: When you replace your document

  • you do not need a vision (eye) test
  • your expiration date and ID number will not change


Ways to replace



If you already have an Enhanced or REAL ID, or you want to keep your Standard, you can replace online. Your document type will stay the same.


Replace online

By mail

If you already have an Enhanced or REAL ID, or you want to keep your Standard, you can replace by mail. Your document type will stay the same. 

Complete an Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (PDF) (MV-44) (if you do not know your DMV ID number, enter your date of birth and name as it appeared on your old document) and return it with:

  • photocopies of acceptable proof of identity
  • payment of $17.50 (check or money order payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles") 

Mail to

NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
207 Genesee Street, Suite 6
Utica, NY 13501-2874


At an office and get an Enhanced or REAL ID

Starting in May 2025, you will need an Enhanced or REAL ID to board a domestic flight (unless you have a passport). 


Get an Enhanced or REAL ID

You do not have to get an Enhanced or REAL ID. To replace a Standard document type, submit to a DMV office


See location, instructions and reservation information for your DMV



Fees and payment

The fee is $17.50.

If you apply by mail or at a DMV office, you can pay by credit/debit card or a check or money order made out to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.  To apply online, you must use a credit/debit card. The DMV accepts:

  • American Express® Card
  • Discover Card®/Novus®
  • MasterCard®
  • MasterCard® Debit card without personal identification number (PIN)
  • VISA® Card
  • Visa Debit Card without personal identification number (PIN)

To get a free replacement for a driver license or learner permit that was stolen or was lost due to a crime, you must get form MV-78B from a police agency. This form is available only from police agencies, not from the DMV.



Address and mailing information

Updating your address 

We send documents to the address we have on our records at the time of the order. If you moved, first change your address, then order a replacement. 

Please note: You may have different mailing and residential addresses. If you have a standard license, it will show your mailing address. If you have a REAL ID or Enhanced license, it will show your residential address. See more information about different license types.


We will mail you your document

Your replacement license will come in about 10 business days. You can check the mailing status online. If it has been more than 2 weeks since you renewed, contact us.

We will mail it to the mailing address currently on our records or an alternate address you provide. To verify or change your address, see how to change your address.


Temporary address

When you order by mail or at a DMV office, you can ask that your replacement document be sent to an address that is different from the address on your document.

By mail, include an additional note and clearly print the alternate address. Don’t write the alternate address on form MV-44. The mailing address you write on form MV-44 must be the address that is listed on your photo document and your DMV record.

Sorry, you cannot use a temporary address when you order online.


Additional information

Veterans or active military

If you are a qualified U.S. military veteran who was honorably discharged, you can have the word "Veteran" printed on the upper left hand of your photo document. Learn how to get the veteran status on your license.

If you are active in the military, please see our military resources for more information on renewing - and thank you for your service! 


Change my name or make other changes

To change your name or other non-address information (photo, height, add/remove corrective lenses), you will need go to a DMV office. See how to change your name or other information.

See location, instructions and reservation information for your DMV


How to replace if you are out of the country

When overseas you must replace your license through the mail. Please submit

We also recommend that you send us a pre-addressed priority mail return envelope with your application (this will help ensure that we send your license to the correct address).

Temporary visitors and international students who have a REAL ID

As long as the Temporary Visitor status that DMV has on file is not expired, you can replace your license online, through the mail or in an office. 


If your Temporary Visitor status has been extended, you must go to a DMV office with your updated paperwork from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).  We will update our records to show that your Temporary Visitor status has been extended so you can replace your license. Your new license will have your new temporary visitor expiration date.