NYS Adventure License FAQs
1. What is the adventure license? The adventure license is a way for holders of a NYS DMV issued photo document (driver license, learner permit or non-driver identification card) to have any of the various lifetime sporting/recreational licenses, privileges or certifications you have purchased from the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and/or the Office of Parks and Historical Preservation (Parks) added to your DMV issued photo document.
2. What lifetime sporting/recreational licenses, privileges or credentials can be added to my DMV issued photo document? You may add icons for the following lifetime licenses/privileges/certifications: Sportsman, Boating Safety, Small/Big Game, Fishing, Bow Hunting, Muzzle Loading, Trapping, and the Empire Passport. Only lifetime purchased licenses, privileges or certifications may be added to the NYS DMV issued photo documents - annual licenses cannot be added.
3. What will my DMV photo document look like with the icons?
4. If I already have a lifetime sporting/recreational license, privilege or certification how do I have it added to my DMV photo document? You may request the icons be added to your DMV photo document in two ways; online using the New York State website or by visiting a NYS Department of Motor Vehicles office and presenting the required proof.
5. What do I need to bring to the NYS DMV office to show as proof of my lifetime sporting/recreational license, privilege or certification? Bring to the NYS DMV office the original sporting license, privilege or certification document that you were issued by NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation or NYS Department of Environmental Conservation and a completed "Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card" (MV-44). For example, if you would like to add the icon for the Lifetime Sportsman License to your NYS DMV issued photo document, bring your Lifetime Sportsman license issued by DEC. If you want to add the Boating Safety Certificate icon, bring your Boating Safety Certificate issued by NYS OPRHP, the United State Coast Guard or the Power Squadron.
6. Am I required to have these icons added to my DMV photo document? No, for most of the icons it is optional to have the icons displayed on your NYS DMV photo document. However, you must have the Lifetime Empire Passport displayed on your NYS DMV photo document; there will be no other proof that you have this credential.
7. Is there an additional fee to have icons added to my DMV photo document? There are no additional fees if you request the icons be added at the time of your photo document renewal. If you wish to have the icons added prior to renewal, you will be required to pay the amendment fee as required by the Vehicle and Traffic Law ($12.50 for driver licenses/permits and $5.00 for non-driver identification cards).
8. Can I have these icons removed from my DMV photo document? Yes. You may contact the agency (Parks or DEC) that issued the lifetime license, privilege or credential to request they notify DMV to remove the icons. There is no fees associated with these requests. Any icon, except the Empire Passport icon, may also be removed by visiting a NYS DMV office. When removing icons through a visit to a DMV office, you will be required to pay the amendment fee as required by the Vehicle and Traffic Law ($12.50 for driver licenses/permits and $5.00 for non-driver identification cards).
9. Where is my document number located for my DMV issued photo document? It is now located on the back of the photo document. If you have an enhanced document, it is located in the top line of the Machine Readable Zone and is the 10 alpha-numeric digits that appear after the "ID USA". If you do not have an enhanced document, it is located above the box with the wording, "I hereby make an anatomical gift".
10. How long will it take to get my new photo document with the icons? If you paid the fee to request the icons be added to your photo document immediately ($12.50 for driver licenses/permits and $5.00 for non-driver identification cards), it may take approximately 2 weeks for you to receive your photo document in the mail. If you opted to have the icons printed at your next document renewal, you will receive your photo document with the icons after you renew your photo document.
11. What if I don’t receive my new photo document with the icons? If it has been more than 2 weeks since you requested your photo document with DEC or Parks, contact the agency where you placed the order. For Boating Safety Certificate and Empire Passport holders, contact Parks via their website: www.parks.ny.gov. For Lifetime Sportsman, Small/Big Game, Bow Hunting, Trapping, Muzzle Loading, or Fishing, contact DEC via their website: www.dec.ny.gov.