You must renew your license before it expires or face fines. 1 Please note
- your license expires on your birthday (we mail you a notice about 50 days before)
- you can renew up to 1 year before it expires and 2 years after (there are no exceptions) 2
- you must pass a vision test (find a test provider near you so you can renew online)
- your address must match the one on our records 3
- if you renew more than 40 days before your 21st birthday, your license will have 'UNDER 21' 4
How can I renew?
Follow these 3 easy steps:
Step 2: Renew online.
Step 3: Download and print a temporary license in PDF format to use until your new license arrives in the mail (in about 10 days).
You must renew at a DMV office if
- you have a commercial driver license (CDL) 6
- you want to convert to an enhanced driver license (EDL)
- you have a conditional or restricted license
- your license displays the words "VALID WITHOUT PHOTO”
- you want to update your photo
- you participate in the ignition interlock device program
- your license has 'TEMPORARY VISITOR' on it and the temporary visitor date expired, and you have proof of an extension from the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
How can I renew by mail?
Complete the renewal notice we mailed you and return it with
- a completed Vision Test Report (MV-619) - you don’t need this if you get tested by an approved provider (find a test location now)
- a check or money order for fees payable to ‘Commissioner of Motor Vehicles’
If you did not receive a renewal notice, you can use the Application for Permit, Driver License, or Non-driver ID (MV-44) instead. See the renewal fees chart to determine the amount to pay. Mail to:
NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
207 Genesee Street, Suite 6
Utica, NY 13501-2874
Can I renew by phone?
No. You can’t renew by phone.
Can I renew my license at a DMV office?
Yes, but it’s much easier to renew online or by mail. Use the renewal notice we mailed you or the Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (MV-44). Be sure to bring your current license.
What does it cost to renew?
The fee is on the renewal application we mail you and displayed before you pay online. You can also see the renewal fee chart to determine the amount to pay.
How long will it take to get my new license?
Allow 10 days to receive your driver license in the mail. You can check the mailing status of your driver license online. If it has been more than 2 weeks since you processed or sent your renewal, contact us.
How can I renew if I am overseas (out of the country, abroad)?
When overseas we recommend that you renew your driver license through the mail. 7 Send us
- the renewal notice we mailed you (MV-2) or if you don't have it, a completed Application for Permit, Driver License, or Non-driver ID (MV-44)
- a Vision Test Report (MV-619) completed by an eye care professional
- the appropriate fee
We also recommend that you send us a pre-addressed priority mail return envelope with your application (this will help ensure that we send your license to the correct address).
How can I renew if I am a Temporary Visitor or an international student?
As long as the Temporary Visitor status that DMV has on file is not expired you can renew your license online, through the mail or in an office.
If your Temporary Visitor status has been extended, you must go to a DMV office with your updated paperwork from the DHS. We will update our records to show that your Temporary Visitor status has been extended so you can renew your license. Your new license will have your new temporary visitor expiration date.
Can I change my driver license class when I renew?
It depends. You cannot change the class when you renew online. You can make these changes when you renew by mail or at a DMV office.
|CDL Class A, B, or C||Class D, E, or Non-commercial Class C|
|Non-Commercial Class C or Class E||Class D|
|Non-Commercial Class C||Class E|
|Class D||Class E|
If you renew
- by mail, include a note about your class change in your renewal envelope
- at a DMV office, tell the DMV representative about the change
You will need to pay the renewal fee for your new driver license class.
If you drive with expired license get a traffic ticket, you will receive fines and penalties
- 60 days or less after the expiration date: $25 to $40 plus state and local surcharges
- more than 60 days after the expiration date: $75 to $300 plus state and local surcharges
- 2. Renewal anytime within this period will not affect the expiration date of your new driver license or the fees.
If your license is expired for 2 years or more, you must apply for an original license. You must pass the vision test and the written test, complete a pre-licensing course and pass a Road Test. See Get a driver license.
- 3. You can first change your address online and then renew. There is no guarantee that the (US Postal Service) USPS will forward your DMV documents to your new address.
- 4. If your renewal is processed less than 40 days before your birthday, we will mail you a driver license without the words “UNDER 21” on or near the date of your birthday.
You can have a Vision Test Report (MV-619) completed by a medical professional listed below, and then enter the report information on the online transaction. You do not need to mail or bring us the report if you renew online.
- physician's assistant
- registered nurse
- nurse professional
- 6. See information about how to renew a CDL.
- 7. You can however renew online if you are abroad and
- have a valid NY driver license
- have had an eye exam from the last 12 months saved to the DMV Vision Registry.
However, your license will not be forwarded to you in the country where you are living.