Take Your Learner Permit Test Online
Before You Take Your Permit Test
You can submit your application and take your test online (using a PC or tablet), at home, and come to the DMV to complete your application.
Before you take your permit test, make sure that you have everything you need to successfully begin the application process.
Expect the test to take 30-40 minutes to complete.
If You are Under 18
Your parent or guardian must
- give DMV permission to capture photographs during the test session
- supervise the test
- come with you to a DMV office to complete your process, and sign the Online Permit Test Parent/Guardian Certification (PDF) (MV-263) in front of a DMV representative
You must have a webcam enabled and allow DMV to access the webcam. If you do not have a webcam connected or you do not enable webcam access, you will not be able to begin your permit test online.
Multiple images will be taken during the course of the permit test. Please ensure that you are in an area where you are clearly visible. If DMV is unable to identify you in the captured images, or if multiple people are in the frame, you may be asked to re-take the test in the office.
Proofs of Identity
You will need to provide scanned or photo images of several identification documents. You will provide the originals when you go to your local DMV office to have your photo taken and pay the permit fee. Use the guides below to find the documents.
Upload Documents and Take the Test
- Use the 'Begin your permit application' button below to log into NY.gov ID or create an account if you do not have one
(We recommended you use the latest versions of Chrome, Edge, Safari, or Firefox browsers)
- Tell us who you are
- Confirm the type of permit you want (D (car) or M (motorcycle)
- Identify the supporting (identification) documents you have and the forms you will need to get a permit
- Upload your documents – you must provide scanned or photo images of your documents.
- DMV will keep your documents safe and secure
- Review and confirm your application
- Start your test – you must begin your test within 5 minutes of selecting “I am ready to take my test.”
After You Take The Test
To pass the test, you must correctly answer at least 80% of the overall questions and 50% of the questions relating to road signs. If you fail you can resubmit your application and try again after at least 6 hours.
After you pass your test, use the link we send you by email to make a reservation to visit a DMV office to
- show the originals of the documents you uploaded
- have your photo taken
- pay the permit fee
- get a temporary permit (you will receive your permit within 2 weeks by mail)
If you are under 18 the same parent or guardian who supervised your test must come with you to complete and sign the Online Permit Test Parent/Guardian Certification (PDF) (MV-263) in front of a DMV representative
If you are 18 or older you must sign the Online Permit Test Attestation for Applicants 18 Years of Age and Older (PDF) (MV-264) at a DMV office, in front of a DMV representative.
Please note: DMV reserves the right to require additional testing of any Online Permit Test applicant prior to issuing the applicant’s learner permit.