Become a PIRP delivery agency or instructor
How can I be approved to be a PIRP delivery agency or instructor?
The Point and Insurance Reduction Program (PIRP) has three components: a sponsor, a delivery agency, and an instructor. Commissioner's Regulation Part 138 contains more detailed information about the approval process and administrative requirements. Here's a brief description of each:
Sponsor - Sponsors are organizations that DMV has approved to provide their own PIRP course. Sponsors are responsible for approving their delivery agencies, instructors, and classrooms. For more information, see Become a PIRP Sponsor.
Delivery Agency - A delivery agency is a business that a sponsor approves to provide their DMV-approved PIRP course. Delivery agencies must have at least one qualified instructor and an approved classroom facility. The course must be delivered according to the approved curriculum. The delivery agency is required to provide the sponsor with a schedule of classes at least 30 days in advance and a roster of all students completing the course. If you are interested in becoming a delivery agency, you must contact one of the approved sponsors for the classroom course or the online or alternate delivery method (I-PIRP/ADM) course.
Instructor - An instructor is a person who works for a delivery agency, and is approved by the sponsor to teach their DMV-approved PIRP course. A PIRP instructor must meet the following minimum requirements
- be at least 19 years of age
- have a high school graduate (or GED)
- have a valid license (may be out of state) with 3 years licensed driving experience
- not have had a license suspended or revoked within the past 5 years
- not have been convicted of an alcohol-related offense within the past 7 years
- not have been convicted of a felony for violence, dishonesty, degeneracy, moral turpitude, deceit, or fraud, theft, forgery, rape, perjury, or bribery within the past 10 years
If you are interested in becoming an instructor, you must contact one of the approved sponsors for the classroom course or the online or alternate delivery method (I-PIRP/ADM) course.