Order Pre-licensing Course Completion Certificates (MV-278)
How do I order Pre-licensing Course Completion Certificates?
Pre-licensing Course Completion Certificates (MV-278) must be issued to the student when the class is completed. The course provider must order Certificates by mail as indicated below.
Both commercial driving schools and secondary schools and colleges must
- complete the appropriate Pre-licensing Course Completion Certificate order form
- commercial driving schools must complete form MV-278.8CDS
- secondary schools and colleges must complete form MV-278.8SSC
- submit class rosters (MV-278.5N) accounting for Pre-licensing Course Completion Certificates issued since their last order to the appropriate DMV office below
- commercial driving schools must mail or bring their class rosters separately to their local Motor Vehicles Testing and Investigation Unit when the order is submitted
- secondary schools and colleges must include their class rosters with their order form
Mail the order form and the required fee to:
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
Utica Processing Center
P.O. Box 359
Utica, NY 13503
Payment must be made by check or money order payable to Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Starter checks will not be accepted.
DMV will mail certificates to the business or school address on file with DMV. Orders cannot be mailed to P.O. boxes.