Get my own lifetime driving record
What is a "lifetime" driving record?
See an explanation of "lifetime" driving records issued by the New York DMV.
How do I get a “lifetime” driving record?
You can save and print a PDF version of your "lifetime" driving record online through MyDMV. You will have until 5 days after your order to download it. The fee is $7.
To create a MyDMV account, you will need your most recent New York State driver license, permit, or non-driver ID.
Sorry, you must order by mail if you do not have
- a New York State license, permit, or non-driver ID or
- your most recent New York State license, permit, or non-driver ID 1
Make sure your computer and web browser have all recent updates to avoid problems downloading your record.
Only you, someone you have given written permission to, or by subpoena, may request this type of driving record. You must use the General Consent for Release of Personal Information (pdf) (MV-15GC) to establish that such permission has been given.
To get your driving record history, use Request for DMV Records (pdf) (MV-15). Your request must include
- a photocopy of your proof of identity 1
- a personal check or money order for $10, payable to the "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles"
Send these items to:
NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
Please allow 15 business days for processing.
Can I get my “lifetime" driving record by phone or at a DMV office?
No. You must request your “lifetime" driving record online through MyDMV or by mail.
- 1. This can either be a driver license or other government issued photo ID card (you can black out your photo).