Get a non-driver ID card

Who can get a non-driver ID (NDID) card

A person any age can get a non-driver ID card. You must apply at a DMV office 1. We will give you a temporary non-photo document at the DMV office.  Allow 2 weeks to receive your photo ID card in the mail.

How to apply

Bring these items to a DMV office:

Click to check/uncheck the box.a completed Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-driver ID Card (MV-44) 2

Click to check/uncheck the box.acceptable proof of identity and date of birth

Click to check/uncheck the box.your original Social Security Card (photocopies are not acceptable) or proof of ineligibility 3

Click to check/uncheck the box.payment for the fee 4

Print this checklist

For quicker service, make a reservation online before visiting offices in New York City, Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Onondaga or Albany Counties. See offices where this service is available.



The chart below shows the fees for an original or renewal of a non-driver ID card.

Under age 62, your next birthday is within the next 6 months4 years$9.00
Under age 62, your next birthday is more than 6 months away8 years$13.00
Under age 62 and receive SSI10 years$ 6.50
Age 62 or older10 years$ 6.50
Age 62 or older and receive SSI10 yearsNo Fee

Reduced fee or 'No Fee' non-driver IDs

If you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or are over age 62, you are eligible to get a reduced fee or 'No Fee' document. 

To prove you receive SSI, you must bring one of the documents listed below to the DMV. The document must be the original, not photocopy.

  • Notice of Award notifying you that you are eligible for SSI benefits
  • Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) letter
  • Notice of change in payment (SSA-L8151)
  • Third Party Query (TPQY) letter
  • Report of Confidential Social Security Information (SSA-2258)
  • Benefit Verification letter (you must call the Social Security Administration in advance to obtain this letter: 1-800-772-1213)


Applicants under age 21

If you are under age 21, a parent or guardian can verify your identity by completing a Statement of Identity by Parent/Guardian (MV-45).   Your parent or guardian must sign it at the DMV, and they must present 6 points of proof of their identity. You must still provide proof of your date of birth and your Social Security Card or proof that you are not eligible for a card.

Parents of children under age 16

The parent of a child under age 16 may apply for a non-driver ID card for their child.  The parent must complete a Statement of Identity by Parent/Guardian (MV-45) and provide proof of their child's date of birth and his or her Social Security Card (or proof they are not eligible for a card).


Once your non-driver ID is ordered

It takes about 2 weeks for your ID to come in the mail. You can check the mailing status online.  If it has been more than 2 weeks since you ordered, contact us.


Similar Transactions

  • 1. You must apply for an original non-driver ID in a DMV office. This cannot be done online, by mail, or by phone.
  • 2. If you need help to complete the form, see How to Apply for a Driver License, Learner Permit or Non-driver ID Card (MV-44.1)
  • 3. If you lost your card, you must apply for a duplicate with Social Security Administration (SSA). If you are not eligible for a Social Security Number, you must give us a letter from the SSA indicating you are not eligible.
  • 4. You can pay by cash, credit/debit card or a check/money order made out to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles". 

    The DMV accepts:

    • American Express® Card
    • Discover Card®/Novus®
    • MasterCard®
    • MasterCard® Debit card without personal identification number (PIN)
    • VISA® Card
    • Visa Debit Card without personal identification number (PIN)

Do it at the DMV

Be sure you have the items described on this page before you visit a DMV office. 

Make a reservation online before visiting DMV offices in New York City, Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Onondaga or Albany Counties.

Make A Reservation

For your convenience, many DMV PDF forms can be filled in online and then printed.