Get a REAL ID or Enhanced non-driver ID

Real ID

What is a REAL ID? 

A REAL ID is a federally compliant DMV-issued driver license, learner permit, or non-driver ID which you will be required to have to board a domestic flight (within the U.S.) or enter certain federal buildings starting in May 2025, unless you have a valid passport.

Learn more about how to get a REAL ID in the DMV's new Youtube video. 


There is no additional fee to get a REAL ID.  All standard transaction fees still apply.

Enhanced Non-Driver ID (ENDID)

What is an enhanced non-driver ID card?

If you are a U.S. citizen and New York State resident, you can apply for a New York State ENDID that can be used instead of a passport to return to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, and some countries in the Caribbean. 1 An EDL is not acceptable for air travel between these countries.

A New York State ENDID complies with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). 2

We recommend you contact your travel agent, your cruise line, or the specific countries of destination to verify your travel document requirements.

How to apply

You must apply for a REAL ID or ENDID at a DMV office and show proof of identity. For an NDID you must also provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. You cannot apply online, by phone, or by mail. 


See location, instructions and reservation information for your DMV


Complete this guide to make sure you have the documents and proofs of identification you need. 


Find the documents you need to get a REAL ID or Enhanced non-driver ID



There is no additional fee for a REAL ID.  All standard transaction fees still apply.

There is an additional $30.00 fee for an enhanced non-driver ID card (ENDID).  The fee is added to the other fees for the non-driver ID transaction.

To determine the fee for converting from a regular driver license or ID card to an enhanced document, see Early renewal with conversion to an enhanced document.


You will get your ENDID in 2 weeks 

It takes about 2 weeks for your new document to arrive in the mail. 


Additional information

Learn more about Enhanced, REAL ID and standard documents


NOTE: It is a criminal misdemeanor to make a false statement or provide false proof of identity or date of birth when you apply for any DMV document. You can go to jail and pay large fines, and we can suspend or revoke your permit or driver license.

  1. 1. More information is available at
  2. 2.

    WHTI is a federal rule that regulates which documents U.S. citizens can use when they travel in the Western Hemisphere. You can read more about this initiative at the website of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).