How to replace a non-driver ID card

 This page was updated for COVID-19.

You can replace your non-driver ID if it was lost or destroyed, or after you update your address. You cannot replace your ID if it expired (you must renew or apply for a new one).


Are you REAL ID ready?

If your New York State license or ID does not have a star or a flag on it, then you do not have a REAL ID compliant document.

Starting October 2021, you must have a REAL ID compliant document (or a passport) to fly. You will not be allowed to board a plane using your regular ('Standard') license or ID. Learn more about REAL ID or Enhanced Licenses, Permits and IDs.


Replace at an office and get an Enhanced or REAL ID

You don't have to get an Enhanced or REAL ID. 1 However, if you have a Standard, you will not be allowed to board a domestic flight starting in October 2021 (unless you have a Passport).

Complete this guide to make sure you have the proofs of identification you need before you come to DMV. 


Find the documents you need to ugrade your non-driver ID


Office procedures have changed due to COVID-19.

We recommend you conduct your DMV business at the office or by mail in the County where you are a resident.

See instructions and reservation information for your county



If you already have an Enhanced or REAL ID, or you want to keep your Standard, you can replace online. Your document type will stay the same. 

Replace non-driver ID online


By mail

If you already have an Enhanced or REAL ID, or you want to keep your Standard, you can replace by mail. Your document type will stay the same. 



NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
207 Genesee Street, Suite 6
Utica, NY  13501-2874




Fees by age 
Under age 62$8.00
Under age 62 and receive Supplement Security Income*$6.50
Age 62 or older$6.50
Age 62 or older and receive Supplement Security Income*No Fee

*Reduced fee or 'No Fee' 

To get a reduced fee or 'No Fee' replacement, you must you must apply by mail or at a DMV office (sorry, you cannot apply online), provide proof of your eligibility for Supplemental Security Income. This proof can be

  • Notice of Award notifying you that you are eligible for SSI benefits
  • Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) letter
  • Notice of change in payment (SSA-L8151)
  • Third Party Query (TPQY) letter
  • Report of Confidential Social Security Information (SSA-2258)
  • Benefit Verification letter (you must call the SSA in advance to obtain this letter: 1-800-772-1213)

At a DMV office:  Bring original proof of Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

By mail: Send us a photocopy of your proof of Supplemental Security Income (SSI).


Additional information

If you are turning 21 soon

Order within 40 days of your birthday to get an ID without “UNDER 21.” 2


You will get your new ID in 2 weeks

Allow 2 weeks to receive it in the mail. You can check the mailing status of your photo document online. If your document is not delivered two weeks after the date the document was processed, you can contact us.


We mail your ID to the address we have on record

We mail your new non-driver ID card to the address currently on our records or an alternate address you provide.

See how to change or verify your address.

Alternate mailing address 

When you apply by mail or at an office, you can ask that your replacement document be sent to an address that is different from the address on your document. 3 You cannot have it sent to a different address when you order online. 


Overseas (out of the country, abroad)

When overseas you must replace your non-drivers ID card through the mail. Please submit

We also recommend that you send us a pre-addressed priority mail return envelope with your application. This will help ensure that we send your new ID to the correct address.


Name or other changes

If you need to make changes other than to your address, you will need go to a DMV office. See how to change your name or other information.


  • 1.

    If you want to replace in an office and keep your Standard document type, follow these steps:

    Step 1: Complete an Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (pdf) (MV-44)

    Step 2: Come to an office. Bring

    • your current Standard non-driver ID
    • your application 
    • payment

    Newly issued Standard documents show: 'NOT FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES'. 

  • 2. If you request a replacement driver license 41 days or more before your 21st birthday, it will say “UNDER 21.”
  • 3. If you want your new non-driver ID card sent to an alternate address, include an additional note and clearly print the alternate address. Don’t write the alternate address on form MV-44. The mailing address you write on form MV-44 must be the address that is listed on your photo document and your DMV record.

For your convenience, many DMV PDF forms can be filled in online and then printed.