Non-Driver ID Card
Are you REAL ID ready?
If your New York State license or ID does not have a star or a flag on it, then you do not have a REAL ID compliant document.
Starting October 2020, you must have a REAL ID compliant document (or a passport) to fly. You will not be allowed to board a plane using your regular ('Standard') license or ID. Learn more about REAL ID or Enhanced Licenses, Permits and IDs.
A non-driver ID is a photo ID card for someone who does not drive. A person at any age can get a non-driver ID card. You must apply in a DMV office.
Apply for the first time
- Get a non-driver ID card
- Exchange your NY State driver license for a non-driver ID card
- Proving identity and age
- Fees and refunds
If you already have a non-driver ID
If recently applied for a new, renewed or replacement non-driver ID, you can check the mailing status.
Sign up to get emails and/or text reminders when your ID is about to expire.
- Military and veteran resources
- New York State Adventure non-driver ID card
- Enhanced, REAL ID or Standard non-driver ID
- If a family member has died
- Information for non US citizens