Open an inspection station
If you would like to apply to have an official public emissions inspection station you may be subject to the Public Emissions Inspection State Cap. Please read Inspection Station Cap Information before you apply.
To become a licensed Inspection Station by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in New York State
- consult the DMV Commissioner’s Motor Vehicle Inspection Regulations (CR-79)
- download and read Facility Requirements – Inspection Stations (VS-143)
- submit the Original Facility Application with all required documentation
- If you are applying to be a Public Inspection Station you must also have a registered repair shop at that location. See Open a Repair Shop or Body Shop for further requirements.
You can also call the Office of Vehicle Safety and Clean Air at 1-518-474-4653 to get the forms, or call 1-518-474-0919 to get more information.
How to apply
You must submit
- Original Facility Application
- proof that you have permission to use the property at the business location (notarized statement from property owner, lease (may be contingent on facility approval), sub-lease with primary lease, mortgage, deed or receipted tax bill)
- your Sales Tax ID number and a copy of your Sales Tax Certificate of Authority (you may need a FEIN from the IRS before this step)
- proof of Workers Compensation Insurance for your employees (if you do not have employees, indicate that on the application) You can visit the NY State Workers Compensation Board website for instructions on this process
- a photocopy of the driver license(s) or other government issued photo ID for everyone listed on the application
- a receipt for your purchase of the inspection station sign 1
- all required fees, via a check payable to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles (Note: you may need to submit a separate check for MV-50 fees if also applying to be a dealer)
- a Filing Receipt from NY State Department of State (Corporation or LLC) or a Business Certificate from the County Clerk (individual using assumed name or partnership)
- any additional requirements if you are also applying to be a repair shop (required for public inspection stations). See Open a Repair Shop or Body Shop.
Certificate of Authority
If you do not have your Certificate of Authority yet, do not submit an application with DMV yet!
The Certificate of Authority and Sales Tax ID number are issued by the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance (DTF). You may apply by visiting the NY State DTF website. Be sure to record your Sales Tax ID on the Original Facility Application.
Proof of Business Name
If you do not have your Proof of Business Name yet, do not submit an application with DMV yet!
- Corporations and LLCs: You must submit a copy of your Filing Receipt from the Department of State. Instructions to file can be found on the NY State Department of State website.
- Partnerships and Individuals Using an Assumed Name: You must submit a copy of your “Business Certificate of Assumed Name”. Contact your county clerk to obtain your business certificate.
Proof of Workers Compensation Insurance
If you do not have your proof of Workers Compensation Insurance yet, do not submit an application with DMV yet!
If you have any employees, such as a certified Inspector (family included), you must submit proof of Workers Compensation Insurance. You can visit the NY State Workers Compensation Board website for instructions on this process. If you do not have any employees, indicate that on your application.
Click here for more Workers Compensation Insurance Information.
Send by mail
You must submit a hard copy of your application, associated documents and fee to this address
Bureau of Consumer & Facility Services
P.O. Box 2700
Albany, NY 12220-0700
DMV's Vehicle Safety’s Application Processing Unit will contact you.
Once your application is reviewed for completeness at our Albany office, it will be sent to a regional office for review. The regional office will contact you to schedule an on-site investigation.
When the automotive facilities inspector (AFI) arrives to inspect your facility, they will be checking that you have the following items
- permanently mounted signs visible from the street (the AFI will deny your application if the signs are not clearly visible)
- proof of identification for everyone named on the application (driver license or other government issued photo ID)
In addition to the items listed above, the AFI will be examine your location for these characteristics
- a mailbox at the business address dedicated to your business only (mailboxes shared with other businesses or entities are not acceptable)
- a method of locking security items (locking cabinet, safe, etc.)
- heat, electricity, desk and chairs
- a business phone (cell phone is acceptable)
- sufficient space to perform inspections. See Motor Vehicle Inspection Regulations (CR-79.9) for specific requirements.
- tools required to perform inspections for the inspection groups you are applying for. See Motor Vehicle Inspection Regulations (CR-79.9) for specific requirements.
- the name and ID number of the certified inspector 2
If approved, you will be issued a license once you have purchased the Computerized Vehicle Inspection System (for those stations inspecting group 1a vehicles).
Computerized Vehicle Inspection System (CVIS)
Only stations that inspect group 1a vehicles are required to have a CVIS. Opus Inspection is the current vendor providing the equipment to New York State inspection stations. To sign the station agreement and order equipment visit www.nyvip.org For additional information Opus Inspection can be reached at (866) 623-8378.
Official inspection station sign
DMV does not provide official inspection station signs. You may purchase these signs from various sign shops and automotive supply stores. Your sign requirements will differ based on the types of vehicles you will be inspecting. See Motor Vehicle Inspection Regulations CR-79 (79.13) for specific requirements.