Return inspection certificates (stickers)

How do I return inspection certificates?

You can receive a refund for unused certificates of inspection (‘stickers’) or the forms after closing an Inspection Station.

You must return your supply of stickers or forms to the DMV to receive a Refund Voucher for the value of the items that you returned. To receive the refund, you must sign and return the voucher to the DMV. You will receive a refund check from the Department of Audit and Control in eight to 12 weeks.

Is there a time limit for returning unused inspection certificates (stickers)?

Yes. By March 1st of each calendar year, every inspection station owner must return to the DMV all unused inspection certificates from the previous year. Refunds or credits will be allowed for unused or defective certificates upon receipt of an application in a form prescribed by the commissioner and surrender of the certificates.

A certificate returned as defective must have a legible serial number.

Certificates that are voided or damaged by an act of the inspection station or inspector are not eligible for credit, except for ones that are intentionally voided to prevent issuance. These may be eligible for credit at the department's discretion.

How do I get credit for the inspection certificates (stickers) or the forms that I do not use?

You can receive credit for unused stickers or forms if your facility remains in operation. To receive a credit, you must write a letter and request credit for the stickers or forms. The letter must include your facility number. Send the letter and the items to

Bureau of Consumer & Business Services
Accounting Unit
P.O. Box 2700
Albany, NY  12220-0700

After DMV processes your credit, we will send you a letter that indicates the amount of your credit. You can use this credit toward your next order of stickers or forms. You cannot use this credit for other DMV transactions.

How do I determine the amount of my credit?

After your credit is processed, you will receive a letter that indicates the amount of your credit. If you do not receive the letter, call the DMV Vehicle Safety automated response system at 518-474-2398, and follow the instructions. The service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You must provide your facility number to use this service.

What if I received the wrong inspection certificates or I need to return certificates (stickers)?

Write a letter to the DMV that explains why you returned the inspection certifcates. Include the certificates, facility name, and facility number. You can exchange the certificates for the correct stickers or you can receive a credit. Make sure that you include these instructions in the letter. Put the certificates in a strong envelope. Postal machines can damage standard envelopes that contain a thick document and can lose the stickers. Remove these certificates from the NYVIP2 inventory.