Get insurance information after a crash/accident

DMV can search for and provide insurance information for vehicles registered in New York State only.

You can request insurance company information with the Records Request Navigator.   You must include all required information: date of accident, vehicle year and make, and registrants name.  If you do not have all required information, see the Records Request Navigator.

You will need to include a copy of the Police Accident Report (form MV-104A or MV-104AN).  If a police report is not available, complete the Report of Motor Vehicle Accident (MV-104).

DMV will perform the search and respond to you by with your selected delivery method.

  • If our records show that the vehicle did not have insurance coverage on the date of the accident, we will notify you and DMV will take appropriate action.
  • If our records show that the vehicle was properly insured on the date of the accident, we will send you the name of the insurance company and the policy number if available.   You must then contact the insurance company to resolve your claim. 
  • If the insurance company tells you the vehicle was not insured on the date of the accident, see Uninsured Vehicle.