Insurance lapses on stolen vehicles

 This page was updated for COVID-19.


My vehicle was stolen and was not recovered. I received a letter from the DMV about a lapse of liability insurance. What can I do?

Report your stolen vehicle to the police immediately. From the police, get

  • a completed 'Statement of Lost, Stolen or Confiscated Items' (MV-78B)
  • a copy of the police stolen vehicle report - the report must show the date of theft and include the vehicle year, make and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

Bring the letter about the lapse of insurance, along with the 'Statement of Lost, Stolen or Confiscated Items' (MV-78B) or the  stolen vehicle report to a DMV office, or mail the documents (copies are acceptable) to

NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
Financial Security Bureau
PO BOX 2725
Albany NY  12220-0725


Office procedures have changed due to COVID-19.

We recommend you conduct your DMV business at the office or by mail in the County where you are a resident.

See instructions and reservation information for your county