Uninsured Vehicle

If you’ve contacted the insurance company and they state that the vehicle was not insured, you need to obtain a denial of insurance letter from the insurance company.  Denial of insurance letters must be from the insurance company on their letterhead specifically denying coverage on the date of the accident.

DMV can revoke the driver license of the driver of the vehicle, and also take action against the registrant of the vehicle if appropriate.

Once you’ve received a denial of insurance letter from the insurance company:

  1. Send a copy of the denial of insurance letter AND
  2. A copy of the Police Accident Report (form MV-104A or MV-104AN).  If one is not available, please complete a Report of Motor Vehicle Accident (MV-104) form to:

    Insurance Services Bureau
    6 Empire State Plaza
    Albany, NY  12228

  3. A cover letter requesting DMV to issue a revocation is recommended.

Once received, DMV will review the documentation and take appropriate action.