Learn about personalized plates
What are personalized plates?
How much do personalized plates cost?
Passenger and Commercial Plates:
Initial Cost = $60.00
Annual Fee = $31.25
Initial Cost = $35.00
Annual Fee = $18.75
Can I use personalized plates on any type of vehicle?
You can use personalized plates on passenger vehicles, commercial vehicles, motorcycles and trailers.
What can I use for a personalized plate combination?
Your requested plate combination is subject to review. The DMV is not required to issue your requested plate.
- eight characters on a standard series plate
- six characters on a personalized plate for a motorcycle
- six characters on a picture plate
- the state image is available on some personalized plates and counts as a character. See the example.
What plate combinations are restricted?
- Personalized plates that give the appearance of an official plate or the configuration of special registration classes.
- Combinations that are considered obscene, derogatory or offensive.
- Combinations that do not have one letter.
- Combinations that consist of six numbers followed by one letter.
- Use of the letter "O" between two numbers to make what appears to be a number.
- Use of the letter "I" as the first or last characters on a plate when the other characters are all numbers.
- Use of the number zero (0) between two letters to form a word.
- Use of the number zero (0) and the letter "O" to form a word or number.
Can picture plates be personalized?
Yes. Some picture plates can be personalized for an additional fee in addition to your picture plate and regular registration fee. For personalized plate availability and pricing for the picture plate you are interested in, you can browse our collection of picture plates online. The categories are:
- I Love NY Adventure
- Military and Veterans
- Counties and Regions of NY State
- Colleges, Fraternities, Sororities
- Motorcycle Plates
- 1. The annual fee is in addition to your vehicle registration renewal fee and will be paid when you renew your registration. A registration renewal for two years will include two annual fees.
- 2. A character is a letter (A-Z), number (0-9) or space. Each space counts as one character.
- 3. For example, a combination that includes "POLICE" or "NYS" is not allowed.
- 4. For example, "2O3", "2OO3", or "JAN2OO3" are not allowed.
- 5. For example, "I45678" or "45678I" are not allowed.
- 6. For example, "P00L" and "P0LE" are not allowed.
- 7. For example, "PO0L" or "2O03" are not allowed.