About Private Service Bureau Licenses
A Private Service Bureau (PSB) license is required of any person, firm, association or corporation engaged in the business of assisting for hire in securing licenses to drive motor vehicles, registrations, or titles of motor vehicles.
How to Apply
Request Name Approval
Before you can apply for a license to operate a PSB, you must first submit a Name Selection Form for PSB Applicants (PDF) (PSB-3) and receive approval from the DMV. To avoid public confusion, a name that includes "DMV" or "Motor Vehicles" will not be approved.
To apply for a license to operate a PSB, you must submit to the NY State DMV
- your form PSB-3 that shows your PSB name was approved by the DMV (see above)
- a photocopy of a valid NY State driver license or non-driver photo ID card for the business owner(s) and all employees of the PSB
- a copy of the receipt provided to clients as required by Section 77.5 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. See Sample Receipt Form (PDF) (PSB-2)
- an Employee Roster (PDF) (PSB-4) for each business owner(s) and all employees of the PSB
- if you do not have employees, you must submit a completed Form CE-200 (Certificate of Attestation of Exemption from NY State Workers Compensation) available from the NY State Worker's Compensation Board. This form is to show a government agency that NY State Workers Compensation insurance is not required.
- if you have employees, you must submit your proof of current Workers Compensation and Disability Insurance Coverage
- a Business Certificate (X-201), a Business Certificate for Partnerships (X-74) or NY State Department of State Filing Receipt (DOS-1025)
- the application fee of $25.00 (non-refundable). Make checks payable to Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.
Send all required items to:
NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
Partnering Programs, Room 322
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
Renew your PSB License
A PSB license expires every two years on June 30. Use Application for Private Service Bureau License Renewal (PDF)l (MV-372R) to apply to renew your PSB license.
If you have any questions, call 1-518-473-6586.