Automatic license and registration extension for military personnel

Pursuant to Executive Order No. 2 by former Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, all licenses and registrations for New York State military personnel returning from active military duty relating to the war on terrorism and military action in Iraq will automatically be extended. The following information will help minimize any potential inconvenience upon their return.

What happens if my NY State driver license expires while I am on active duty?

NY State law automatically extends license privileges throughout active military service for up to 6 months after discharge or separation. Discharged or separated military personnel may renew an expired NY State license up to two years after the extended expiration. No more than 30 months may have passed since discharge (6-month extension plus 24 -month grace period).

Active military personnel must show proof of date of entry into military service. If the NY State license was valid at any time during your military service, your license can be renewed.

A discharged serviceman must show a Certificate of Discharge, DD-214. You must have been discharged within the past 30 months. If the NY State license was valid at any time during your military service, your license can be renewed.

Am I required to notify DMV of my entry into the military?

While not required, it is suggested that military personnel file a Notification of Military Service (pdf) (MV -75) to ensure that the license record is not purged once the expiration date has passed.

What happens if my NY State registration expires while I am on active duty?

Registrations are extended for up to 60 days from return to New York State. This extension applies only to vehicles registered to military personnel. You must show proof of military service or separation. Liability insurance coverage must be maintained at all times, including the period of extension.

What happens if I had a lapse of insurance coverage during active duty?

You are required to maintain continuous coverage or surrender your plates before deployed. If you were unable to do so, DMV has a procedure in place to exempt you from administrative actions upon your return. You must provide a notarized statement that the vehicle was not used during the time in question, a copy of your military ID, proof of current insurance (or surrender of plates), and signed and dated copies of deployment and return papers, or DD-214 (if separated from service). You can present these documents at a DMV office, or mail them to:

Insurance Services Bureau
6 Empire State Plaza, Room 332B
Albany, NY 12228


See location, instructions and reservation information for your DMV


If you have any additional questions, please contact the DMV Call Center.

For your convenience, many DMV PDF forms can be filled in online and then printed.