Find a DMV-regulated business
You can use find a DMV-regulated business transaction to find information about the following types of businesses that are regulated by the NY State Department of Motor Vehicles Office of Vehicle Safety and Clean Air
- automobile and truck dealers, boat dealers and yacht brokers
- motor vehicle repair shops, body repair shops and mobile repair shops
- motor vehicle inspection stations (safety and emissions)
- vehicle dismantlers and other businesses that process vehicles for scrap or parts
The transaction does not provide information about the following types of businesses:
- vehicle transporters
- ATV dealers
- drive-in appraisals
- MV-907A eligible
- fleet inspection stations or dealer inspection stations
- any business that does not have a current and valid registration or license
- a business that is not licensed, registered or regulated by the NY State DMV Office of Vehicle Safety and Clean Air (such as driving schools, pre-licensing course providers, Point and Insurance Reduction Program providers)
What information do I need to use this transaction?
To search for a group of businesses by ZIP Code or county, you must know
- the kind of business you want to find
- the ZIP Code or county where you want to search
- if the business is a motor vehicle inspection station, information about the vehicle to be inspected
- you can get the required information from the vehicle registration documents - see a sample document
To find a specific business, you can enter the complete seven-digit Facility Number assigned to the business by the DMV Division of Vehicle Safety.
What Information will I get about the businesses?
The transaction will display the following information about the business or businesses
- the Facility Number
- the street address, city, state and ZIP Code of the business
- the type or types of business, and a link to descriptions of the business types
What can I do if my vehicle is located in a county different from the county of registration, and no inspection stations for my vehicle type are available in the current county?
This situation occurs when a vehicle that is or will be registered in the New York Metropolitan Area (NYMA) requires a diesel emissions inspection, but is in a county where the diesel emissions inspection is not available.
You can obtain a Temporary Certificate of Inspection Waiver. This temporary certificate allows you to get a safety inspection in the county where the vehicle is located. You are then required to get a diesel emissions inspection and sticker within 10 days after the vehicle returns to the NYMA. You can get the waiver form from a local DMV office.
To locate diesel emissions inspection stations in your current county, enter the current county as the county of registration.