Register to Become an Organ, Eye or Tissue Donor
There is a tremendous need for organ donations in New York State.
- nearly 9,000 New Yorkers are currently waiting for an organ transplant, and every 16 hours someone dies waiting for an organ transplant in our state
- only 42% of New Yorkers age 18 and over have enrolled in the NY State Donate Life Registry, compared to the national average of 69%
- just one organ donor can save up to 8 lives and improve the lives of up to 75 people by donating tissues and corneas
DMV has a PDF document that explains What You Should Know About Becoming an Organ, Eye and Tissue Donor (MV-OD). Learn more at the DonateLife.ny.gov.
Register right now through MyDMV
Other ways you can register
- when you
- during a MyDMV license or non-driver ID renewal or replacement transaction
- by completing the donation section on your
- driver license or non-driver ID renewal application
- Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (pdf) (MV-44)
- online at donatelife.ny.gov/register
- when you register to vote - just complete and sign page 2 of the voter registration form
- through the New York State of Health Official Health Plan Marketplace when applying for health insurance.
- at an IDNYC Enrollment Center when you apply for or renew an IDNYC government-issued identification card
You can also enroll by mail. Get the form at the DonateLife.ny.gov.