Vehicle registrations and title certificates for members of the military

Below is helpful information for those who currently serve in the US Armed Forces and their families, and military veterans and their families.  Thank you for your service! 

Second-party registration transactions

If you are not able to visit the DMV to register a vehicle, another person can come for you.  You will need these forms

For more information about second party registrations, see register a vehicle for someone else.


Sales Tax Exemption for Motor Vehicles Purchased Out-Of-State by Military Service Members

New York State tax law offers a full exemption from New York State sales and use tax on a motor vehicle purchased in another state by a person in the military service of the United States, so long as that other state’s sales, use, excise, usage or highway use tax was paid on the motor vehicle necessary to obtain the title.

To qualify for the exemption, the purchaser must provide proof of tax paid upon registration of the motor vehicle in New York State. A receipt showing payment of sales, use, excise, usage, or highway use tax paid will be considered to be proof of tax paid to another state. This exemption applies only when the registrant is a military service member and is the person who purchased the motor vehicle in another state while in the military service of the United States.

Applicants seeking this tax exemption must complete form Sales Tax Exemption {Sales Tax Form} (pdf) (at NY State Department of Tax and Finance) (DTF-803), box 12, and provide a military ID or other documentation of military service (if a certificate of discharge is presented, the date of discharge must be after the purchase of the motor vehicle).

Defer vehicle sales tax

If you are a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and you do not reside in New York, you can defer your sales tax payment. You must pay the sales tax when you leave the Armed Forces or you return to New York. Complete form Sales Tax Exemption {Sales Tax Form} (pdf)  (at NY State Department of Tax and Finance) (DTF-803) if

  • you are a New York State resident
  • you are now a member of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • you do not now reside in New  York State or keep a residence here

Find more sales tax information for registering a vehicle. 

Register a vehicle imported from another country

To register a vehicle imported from another country, use the form 'Military Registration and Certificate of Title of Motor Vehicle' (DD-430) 1 to provide proof of ownership.  For more information, see register an imported vehicle

Military and Veterans vehicle plates

Use these forms to order military and veterans vehicle plates

See galleries of military and veteran custom plates


Veterans with disabilities receiving motor vehicles under Federal Title 38

To register a vehicle, use Statement to Register a Vehicle Under Title 38 (pdf) (MV-1E).

To renew a registration, use Statement to Renew a Vehicle Under Article 38 (pdf) (MV-1G). 


Automatic registration extension for military personnel

Learn about registration extensions for military personnel.

Registration class codes for military and veteran custom plates

The vehicle registration class codes list includes a section for military and veterans classes. 

Request a registration fee refund

The Request for Refund (pdf) (MV-215) includes instructions to apply for a vehicle registration fee refund if you entered the US Armed Forces after you received a New York State vehicle registration. For more information about registration refunds, see surrender vehicle plates to the DMV.

  1. 1. This form is not issued by the New York DMV. It's a Department of Defense form.