Changes to IRP registration

Common changes to IRP registrations include

  • add or delete vehicles
  • transfer plates from one vehicle to another
  • increase or decrease registered weight
  • transfer a vehicle from one fleet to another fleet
  • name change
  • address change 1

To make changes to your IRP registration

  • complete Schedule A & C (pdf) (IRP-6) (submit for all changes listed above)
  • provide proof of identity (submit for all changes listed above) 2
  • provide proof of ownership (submit for all add vehicle requests) 3
  • provide proof of NY State insurance (NY State Insurance ID Card) in same name as the registrant if you are adding vehicles to the fleet (submit for all changes listed above)
  • provide proof of NY State insurance (NY State Insurance ID Card) in the new name if you are changing the name on the account
  • send a check or money order made payable to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles in the amount of $2.50 per vehicle 
  • send in proof of an established place of business for the new address (submit for for address change only)


You may use OSCAR  to make some of these the changes online.

By mail

If you are using the United States Postal Service

International Registration Bureau
PO Box 2850 ESP
Albany, NY 12220-0850


If you use an express mail service or other method

International Registration Bureau
Room 136
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY  12228

If you send your application by mail, the IRB sends you a invoice. If additional information is required to process your application, the IRB sends a request for additional information with the invoice. Payment by mail must be by certified check or money order.

By fax

Submit the Schedule A & C (pdf) (IRP-6) by fax to 518-486-6579. IRB processes changes submitted by fax within 72 hours.

  1. 1. If you change your address, you must notify the DMV within 10 days. Please complete Schedule A/C (IRP6) and submit it along with your two proofs of new address and payment in the amount of $2.50 per vehicle. Payment must be a check or money order payable to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.
  2. 2. Send photocopies of your proofs of identity. If another person brings your application to the Customer Service Counter, see the requirements for a second-party registration application.
  3. 3. If you must change any information on your IRP registration that is also on your title certificate (for example the VIN, year or make), you must first apply for an amendment to your title certificate. See Change name or other information on your registration or title for more information. If you change information on your title certificate, you must send a photocopy of the changed title certificate when you apply to change information on the IRP registration. Your local DMV office cannot amend an IRP registration.

Do it online alternative

You can make some changes to your IRP registrations using OSCAR

Do it by phone

You can't make changes to an IRP registration by phone.

You may call the IRB with questions at 

Monday - Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Do it by mail

You can make changes to your IRP registrations by mail. Follow the instructions on Schedule A&C (IRP-6).

For your convenience, many DMV PDF forms can be filled in online and then printed.