Help creating a MyDMV account
Here are answers to common issues customers have creatring a MyDMV account.
What do I need to sign up for MyDMV?
You must have
- your New York State driver license, permit or non-driver ID
- your Social Security Number (SSN)
- the ZIP code currently on your New York State driver license, permit or non-driver ID record
How do I sign up for MyDMV?
Step 1: Go to the MyDMV homepage and click "Sign up for MyDMV."
Step 2: Enter the required information and create a NY.gov ID username, or use one your already have. Your information must match what we currently have on record for you. Your username can be a combination of
- letters (a,b,c)
- numbers (1,2,3)
- period ( . )
- at ( @ )
- dash ( - )
- underscore ( _ )
Step 3: Open the email we send you with your temporary password and link to MyDMV.
Step 6: Enroll in the MyDMV services you want to use.
What if I already have a NY.gov username?
NY.gov allows people to access online services from various NYS government agencies with a single username. For example, if you have a MyDMV account and you enroll at the Online Tax Center of the Department of Taxation and Finance, you can use the same NY.gov ID username and password to access services offered by both agencies. Learn more about NY.gov ID.
If you already have an NY.gov ID username when you sign up for a MyDMV account, your MyDMV account will be associated with your current NY.gov ID username. You will not need to create a new username.
Forgot your NY.gov account Username? Use the self-service tools on the MyDMV homepage.
What can I do if I lost my temporary password and couldn't complete the sign-up process?
Follow these steps
Step 1: Go to the MyDMV homepage and click "Sign up here."
Step 2: Enter all the required information again. Use the same username you used before.
Step 3: Open the email we send you with a new temporary password and link to MyDMV to sign in.
Why am I redirected to the 'Register for MyDMV Online Services' page?
You may have multiple NY.gov usernames, and the username you used to sign in is not associated with your MyDMV account. To solve this issue, follow these steps:
Step 1: Use this link to clear out your sign in information from our system. This will stop you from being redirected to the ‘Register for MyDMV Online Services’ page.
Step 2: Use the ‘Forgot your Username’ tool on the NY.gov ID sign in page to get a list of all of your NY.gov ID Usernames. If you have more than one email address, be sure to check all of them. Sign in with the username you created for MyDMV. If you don't remember the password you can use the 'Forgot your Password' tool.
None of these instructions help. I still can't sign up for MyDMV.
If you still have problems signing up after following the instructions on this page, Contact us.
- 1. If you just ordered a new driver license, learner permit, or non-driver ID but it hasn’t arrived in the mail, you’ll need to wait until you receive your new document to create your account.
You cannot create a MyDMV account if you were never issued a New York State license, permit, or non-driver ID.
- 2. You can confirm or change your address online
- 3. Make sure you enter your photo document number correctly (see a sample driver license). It’s easy to mistake the following
- the number ‘1’ for letter the ‘I’
- the number ‘0’ for the letter ‘O’
- the letter ‘Q’ and the letter ‘O’
- the number ‘5’ and the letter ‘S’
- the number '8' and the letter 'B'
- 4. The temporary password is case sensitive. You must enter it exactly as it appears in the email. It is best to copy and paste the temporary password from the email.
- 5. Your password must
- be different from your temporary password and username
- contain at least 14 characters
- include at least three out of the four categories: one digit, one upper case character, one lower case character, one lower case character, and one special character
- be different from your previous 12 passwords