Learn about picture and professional plates
A picture or professional plate is a vehicle plate that has the words "New York" contained in a blue banner, and a picture or logo next to the plate number.
Some personalized picture plates are available for an additional fee.
You can browse the available styles of picture and professional plates online. The categories are:
- I Love NY Adventure Plates
- Military and Veterans
- Counties and Regions of NYS
- Colleges, Fraternities, Sororities
- Motorcycle Plates
Cost of picture and professional plates
Our picture and professional plates have a variety of prices. You can browse the available styles using the categories above to find detailed pricing information on the plate you’re interested in.
Privileges of professional plates
Custom plates reserved for professional groups and emergency services organizations serve to identify the registrant as a member of that group. The plates come with no special rights or privileges. 1
Standard series plates to replace picture or professional plates
To exchange custom plates for standard series plates
- complete a Vehicle Registration/Title Application (MV-82)
- bring the form, the plates and your NY State Driver License to a DMV office
- pay a one-time plate exchange fee of $28.75, and surrender your plates
We will then issue your vehicle a set of standard series plates. 2
If I remove a vehicle from the road, can I keep my picture or professional plates?
Yes. You can store your picture or professional plates at most DMV offices. 3
You will receive a receipt (form FS-6T) when you surrender your plates. Verify the information listed on the receipt, make sure that the receipt displays the words "Stored at Local Office,” and keep this receipt. We will indicate on the registration record that the vehicle plates have been stored.
To register the vehicle again, or to use your stored picture or professional plates to register another vehicle, you must visit the office that has your vehicle plates. Make sure that you bring the receipt (form FS-6T) and the other documents required to register your vehicle.
New picture plate developed for a group or organization
A detailed information packet about the custom plate (picture plate) development program, including the Request for the Development of Custom Plates (MV-415) is available here.
- 1. Professional plates do not entitle you to any special parking privileges unless the city, town or village where you park your vehicle has granted such privileges. For more information, contact your local police or parking enforcement agency, or the agency that is responsible for parking regulations.
- 2. You will no longer pay the custom plate fees when you renew your registration. If your registration is in the first year of a two-year registration, you must submit a Request for refund or fee paid for motor vehicle registrations and driver licenses (MV-215) to apply for a refund of the balance of the fee. (A processing fee of $1.00 is subtracted from your refund.) You will not receive a refund if the registration expires in less than one year.
- 3. The policy to store vehicle plates is different in each office.