Apply for vintage plates
How do I apply for vintage plates?
To register your vehicle with vintage plates, you must have actual plates that were valid in New York State in the year the vehicle was manufactured. If it was a metal tab year, you must have the metal tab. 1
- The plates must be original.
- If New York State issued only one plate in the year of manufacture, that plate must be mounted on the rear of the vehicle. If New York State originally issued two plates in that year, you must use both matching plates.
- A motorcycle plate must be used on a motorcycle. Otherwise, any plates issued in the year the vehicle was manufactured may be used on any type of vehicle. 2
What documents are required to apply for vintage plates?
You must apply for vintage plates by mail, and are required to submit the following documents:
- completed Vintage License Plates form (MV-440V)
- completed Application for Registration/Title (MV-82)
- color photograph of the vintage plate(s) 3
- photocopy of your driver license
- proof of ownership 4
- proof of insurance 5
- Sales Tax Receipt if the vehicle has never been registered in your name in New York State 6
- payment by check, money order or credit card 7
Mail all of the above to:
NYS DMV Custom Plates Unit
P.O. Box 2775
Albany, NY 12220
How much do vintage plates cost?
- If you already have a valid New York State registration for the vehicle in your name, the fee is $3.75 for the new document.
- If the vehicle is not currently registered in your name, the fee is $28.75. 8
- If the vehicle is a 1973 or newer model year and does not already have a New York State title issued in your name, there is an additional fee of $50.00 for the title.
- The standard yearly renewal fee for passenger vehicles is $28.75.
- If you already have a valid New York State registration with historical plates, the fee is $3.75 for the new document.
- If you have a valid standard motorcycle registration, the fee is $11.25 ($3.75 document fee plus a prorated registration fee of $7.50).
- If the motorcycle is not currently registered in your name, the fee is $25. 9
- If your motorcycle is a 1973 or newer model and does not have a New York State title issued in your name, there is an additional title fee of $50.00.
- The standard yearly renewal fee motorcycles is $25.00. 10
- 1. Vintage plates issued in the model year of 1972 and earlier must display the embossed year, or have the original metal tab for that year attached and legible. Vintage plates issued in the model year of 1973 and later do not have metal tabs or plate stickers.
- 2. For example, plates originally issued to a truck may be used on a car, and plates issued to a taxi may be used on a truck.
- 3. Submit a clear, color photograph of the plate(s). If the vehicle year required two plates, both plates must appear in the same photo.
- 4. If the vehicle is currently registered to you, provide a photocopy of the current registration. If the vehicle is not currently registered in your name, send the original transferable registration or title, signed over to you. If that is not possible, send a Statement of Ownership (MV-51B) with a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) tracing or VIN verification signed by a police department.
- 5. Send a valid Insurance ID Card (FS-20, FS-21) issued and dated within 180 days of the date you register the vehicle. The ID card must include a scannable barcode and the computer-printed word "HISTORICAL". Cards without the word "HISTORICAL" will not be accepted. Contact your insurance company to get information about insurance for an historical vehicle.
- 6. To get a Sales Tax Receipt, you must bring your bill of sale and proof of ownership documents (title or transferable registration) to any Motor Vehicles office, where you will complete a Sales Tax Clearance form (DTF-802, DTF-803 or DTF-804) and receive a Sales Tax Receipt (FS-6T). If your vehicle is currently registered in your name, or if it was registered to you previously, proof of sales tax payment is not required.
- 7. Make a check or money order payable to the "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles". If paying by credit card, please fill in the appropriate information on the Vintage License Plates form (MV-440V).
- 8. If you live in New York, Bronx, Kings, Queens, Richmond, Rockland, Nassau, Suffolk, Orange, Putnam, Dutchess, or Westchester county, the fee is $53.75 due to the addition of an annual $25 Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District supplemental registration fee.
- 9. If you live in New York, Bronx, Kings, Queens, Richmond, Rockland, Nassau, Suffolk, Orange, Putnam, Dutchess, or Westchester county, the fee is $50.00 due to the addition of an annual $25 Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District supplemental registration fee.
- 10. Motorcycle registrations have a fixed expiration date of April 30.