Check my plate order mailing status
If you ordered your plates online within the past 60 days, you can use the Plate Mailing Status Lookup to check the status of your order. 1 If you ordered your plates online more than 60 days ago and have not received them, you should contact DMV.
The online lookup tracks your plates only; you will not see the status of your registration receipt or window sticker.
You must have
- the new plate number
- the 3 letter registration class code from your new registration or plate order confirmation email (See a sample registration document)
Can I check the order status by mail?
No. You cannot do this by mail.
Can I check the status by phone?
Yes, but you can save yourself the wait time. It’s faster and easier to do it online. Call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838. Office hours are 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.
Can I check at a DMV office?
Yes, but you can save yourself trip. It’s faster and easier to do it online.
How long will it take to receive my new custom plates and registration?
- In approximately 10 days or less after your order is processed, you will receive new documents that show your current plate number and your new plate combination.
- Allow at least six weeks for the custom plates to arrive.
- Your new registration documents will be mailed separately from your new custom plates
- If you do not receive your registration documents within two weeks or your custom plates within six weeks, contact the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838.
- 1. Plates ordered at DMV offices or by phone are not in this system.