Medical variances and the new 'V' restriction

If your USDOT Medical Examiner's Certificate indicates "must be accompanied by a Diabetic, Hearing, Seizure or Vision waiver exemption or an SPE Certificate," you have a Medical Variance.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) sends the Medical Variance directly to DMV. The DMV will not accept copies of Medical Variance documents from commercial drivers. Visit the FMCSA website for more information about the Medical Variances.

If you have a Medical Variance, you must have a new "V" Restriction placed on your CDL. If you have a Medical Variance and a V Restriction is not present on your driver license document now, you must visit a local DMV office with a copy of your current USDOT Medical Examiner's Certificate to amend your CDL. A license amendment fee will apply.

Note: If you cannot meet the criteria for one of the driving types defined above, you can no longer hold a CDL. You must go to a local DMV office and downgrade to a non-commercial class driver license.

See medical certification requirements for more information.