CDL abstracts & medical certification notices
The URL for access to New York DMV VPASS has changed.
The new link is https://secap.dmv.ny.gov. Please be sure to update any shortcuts, favorites or bookmarks to reflect this change.
If you are a current or prospective employer of commercial drivers, or an authorized agent of a motor carrier, the NYS DMV License Event Notification Service (LENS) now offers notifications of Driver’s Medical Certification (Med Cert).
Medical Certification notifications include the following information:
- Overall Med Cert Status: Certified/Not Certified/Not Required
- Self-Cert Driving Type: (NA; NI; EA; EI)
- Medical Certificate Expiration Date: mm/dd/yyyy (NA/NI driving types only)
- Medical Variance Expiration Date: mm/dd/yyyy (if applicable)
- 60 Day Advance Notification of Medical Certificate Expiration: mm/dd/yyyy
- 60 Day Advance Notification of Medical Variance Expiration: mm/dd/yyyy
Users can also get CDL abstracts for their drivers through LENS. CDL abstract provide the following information that is not available on a Standard Abstract:
- Expanded driver history information - convictions, suspensions, revocations and other licensing actions in any state committed in any type of vehicle.
- Medical Certification Status information and Self-Certification information:
- Medical Certification Status: (Certified/Not Certified/Not Required)
- Self-Cert Type: (NA; NI; EA; EI)
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate information for drivers who must maintain a valid medical examiner’s certificate on file with DMV:
- Date Medical Certificate Posted to License Record: mm/dd/yyyy
- Med Cert Issue Date: mm/dd/yyyy
- Med Cert Expiration Date: mm/dd/yyyy
- Medical Examiner’s Name:
- Medical Examiner’s Licensing Jurisdiction Code:
- Medical Examiner’s License or Certificate Number:
- Medical Examiner’s Specialty Code:
- Medical Examiner’s National Registry Number: (Required for all Med Certs issued on or after 5/21/2014)
- Existence of any Restrictions on Medical Certification: Corrective Lenses; Hearing Aid
- Existence of any Medical Variance on Medical Certification: Diabetes Waiver; Vision Waiver; Hearing Waiver; Seizure Waiver; Skills Eval Certificate; Qualified by Operation
- Medical Variance/SPE Certificate Effective Date (if applicable): mm/dd/yyyy
- Medical Variance/SPE Expiration Date (if applicable): mm/dd/yyyy
LENS will provide CDL abstracts when an authorized employer or organization enrolls a driver in LENS. At that time, paying customers will be charged the normal fee. The fee applies every time an abstract is requested by a paying customer.
Employers and organizations, whose drivers are enrolled in LENS, may now choose to enhance their accounts in two important ways. The first is to choose to receive CDL Medical Certification notifications. This can be accomplished by logging in to your LENS account.
Once this is done, you may then obtain either the standard abstract or the CDL abstract containing MedCert information in compliance with FMCSA regulations.