The following information also applies to renewing an enhanced driver license (EDL).
Follow these 3 steps
Step 2: Renew online
Step 3: Download and print a temporary license in PDF format to use until your new license arrives in the mail (in about 10 days).
Sorry, you must renew at a DMV office if you
- have a commercial driver license (CDL) 4
- want to convert to an enhanced driver license (EDL)
- have a conditional or restricted license
- have the words "VALID WITHOUT PHOTO” on your license
- want to update your photo
- participate in the ignition interlock device program
- have 'TEMPORARY VISITOR' on your license and the temporary visitor date expired 5
Complete the renewal notice we mailed you and return it with
- a completed Vision Test Report (MV-619) - or get tested by an approved vision registry provider (find a test location now)
- a check or money order payable to ‘Commissioner of Motor Vehicles’
If you did not receive a renewal notice, you can use the Application for Permit, Driver License, or Non-driver ID (MV-44) instead. See the renewal fees chart to determine the amount to pay. Mail to:
NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
207 Genesee Street, Suite 6
Utica, NY 13501-2874
At a DMV office
Bring to the DMV
- your renewal notice or complete an Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (MV-44)
- your current license
- payment for the fee 6
You can take a vision test at the DMV or have bring a completed Vision Test Report (MV-619) or have your test sent to us electronically by a vision registry test provider (find test locations near you),
We will give you a temporary license (the same that you would get if you renew online) to use until your new license arrives in the mail (in about 10 days).
Sorry. You can’t renew by phone.
Your renewal fee is on the renewal application we mail you and displayed before you pay online. They are also listed on the chart below for different types of licenses. The fees listed include the photo document fee and the supplemental Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee, if required. 7
The additional fee for an enhanced driver licensed (EDL) is $30.00. The fee is added to the renewal fees for the driver license.
|Driver License Class||Fee||+ MCTD Fee|
|A, B or C 8|
Commercial Driver License (CDL)
|D or DJ||$64.50||$80.50|
|M or MJ||$72.50||$88.50|
If you have any other class combined with Class M or MJ (example: DM), add an additional $8.00 to the fee above.
Veteran status designation
If you are a qualified U.S. military veteran who was honorably discharged, and you have a NYS driver license, learner permit or non-driver photo ID card, you can have the word "Veteran" printed on the upper left hand of your photo document.
There is no additional fee for the veteran status designation on your document, but all regular transaction fees will apply.
Learn how to get the veteran status on your license.
Your new license will come in 10 days
Your address must match the one on our records
You can first change your address online and then renew. There is no guarantee that the (US Postal Service) USPS will forward your DMV documents to your new address.
If you are turning 21 soon
If you renew more than 40 days before your 21st birthday, your license will have 'UNDER 21' 9
Overseas (out of the country, abroad)
When overseas we recommend that you renew your driver license through the mail. 10 Send us
- the renewal notice we mailed you (MV-2) or if you don't have it, a completed Application for Permit, Driver License, or Non-driver ID (MV-44)
- a Vision Test Report (MV-619) completed by an eye care professional
- a check or money order payable to ‘Commissioner of Motor Vehicles’
We also recommend that you send us a pre-addressed priority mail return envelope with your application (this will help ensure that we send your license to the correct address).
Temporary Visitors and international students
As long as the Temporary Visitor status that DMV has on file is not expired you can renew your license online, through the mail or in an office.
If your Temporary Visitor status has been extended, you must go to a DMV office with your updated paperwork from the United State Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We will update our records to show that your Temporary Visitor status has been extended so you can renew your license. Your new license will have your new temporary visitor expiration date.
Changing license class when renewing
You cannot change the class when you renew online. You can make these changes when you renew by mail or at a DMV office.
|CDL Class A, B, or C||Class D, E, or Non-commercial Class C|
|Non-Commercial Class C or Class E||Class D|
|Non-Commercial Class C||Class E|
|Class D||Class E|
If you renew
- by mail, include a note about your class change in your renewal envelope
- at a DMV office, tell the DMV representative about the change
You will need to pay the renewal fee for your new driver license class.
If you drive with expired license get a traffic ticket, you will receive fines and penalties
- 60 days or less after the expiration date: $25 to $40 plus state and local surcharges
- more than 60 days after the expiration date: $75 to $300 plus state and local surcharges
- 2. Renewal anytime within this period will not affect the expiration date of your new driver license or the fees.
If your license is expired for 2 years or more, you must apply for an original license. You must pass the vision test and the written test, complete a pre-licensing course and pass a Road Test. See Get a driver license.
You can have a Vision Test Report (MV-619) completed by a medical professional listed below, and then enter the report information on the online transaction. You do not need to mail or bring us the report if you renew online.
- physician's assistant
- registered nurse
- nurse professional
- 4. See information about how to renew a CDL.
- 5. You will need to bring to a DMV office proof of an extension from the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
- 6. You can pay by cash, credit/debit card or a check/money order made out to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles".
The DMV accepts:
- American Express® Card
- Discover Card®/Novus®
- MasterCard® Debit card without personal identification number (PIN)
- VISA® Card
- Visa Debit Card without personal identification number (PIN)
- 7. Residents of the following counties must pay a supplemental Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee: Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island); Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester.
The MCTD fee is $1.00 for every 6 months the permit or driver license will be in effect. For an 8-year driver license, the MCTD fee is $16.
- 8. If you have a Class A, B or C with an endorsement of H or X, you must pass the hazardous materials knowledge test at a DMV office within 2 years before your renewal and pay an additional fee of $5 for the test.
- 9. If your renewal is processed less than 40 days before your birthday, we will mail you a driver license without the words “UNDER 21” on or near the date of your birthday.
- 10. You can however renew online if you are abroad and
- have a valid NY driver license
- have had an eye exam from the last 12 months saved to the DMV Vision Registry.
However, your license will not be forwarded to you in the country where you are living.