Renew Driving School License
Driving School Licenses are issued to businesses that qualify to operate a driving school. These licenses are renewed for two years. The license must be renewed before the expiration date shown on the license if the driving school wants to continue to operate the business.
Driving School Licenses can be renewed up to six (6) months after they expire, but the Driving School business cannot operate unless the license is valid.
How to renew
Your application for renewal of a Driving School License must be submitted between 30 and 60 days before the license expires (the expiration date is printed on your license). As part of the renewal process, you must provide updated information about your driving school including:
- Driving School Renewal Application (form MV-522)
- Proof of Worker’s Compensation (form C-105.2 or U-26.3) and Disability Benefits Insurance Coverage (form DB-120.1), OR a Certificate of Attestation of Exemption of Worker’s Compensation and Disability Benefits Insurance Coverage (form CE-200).
- Payment of the license fee. You must include a check or money order for the renewal fee as identified on the application, payable to Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Starter Checks cannot be accepted.
- If your school uses vehicles for instruction, you must attach a List of Driving School Vehicles (MV-527).
- If your school provides the Pre-licensing Course, you must attach a Signature Authorization List - Pre-Licensing Course (MV-278.6).
Expired Driving School License
You must immediately stop operating your driving school business. Your school will not be licensed to operate. Any services you provide through your driving school license (including Instructor Certificates, account to DMV’s online road test appointment scheduling system, and authorization to order Pre-Licensing Course Completion Certificates) will be terminated.
Until your new license is issued, your instructors will not be able to teach for your school and your school will be unable to:
- provide lessons to customers
- teach the Pre-licensing Course (if your school was approved to teach this)
- schedule road tests or bring customers to a road test
You can renew the license up to 6 months after the previous license expires BUT any operation of your business between when your driving school license expired and the new license is issued will constitute unlicensed operation of a driving school. This could result in your having to pay a civil penalty of $1,000 and/or denial of future driving school license applications.
We strongly recommend that you renew the license before it expires to avoid these penalties and/or inconvenience to your customers.