Register to Vote Online - Electronic Voter Registration Application
You can use the DMV Electronic Voter Registration Application to register to vote or to update the information you have on file with the New York State Board of Elections.
Updated information could include providing your County or City Board of Elections with your new name, new address, or changing a party enrollment. We forward completed applications to the appropriate County or City Board of Elections for approval and processing. Learn more about Electronic Voter Registration.
To register you will need
- your New York State DMV issued driver license, permit or Non-Driver ID
- it must be your most recently issued document - you will need the ID Number and document number (See Sample Documents)
- the ZIP Code currently on record with the DMV
- the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number (SSN)
If you are having trouble registering online
Make sure you enter
- your document number correctly - it's easy to mix characters, like the number '1' for the letter 'I'
- the ZIP Code we currently have on record (we might not be aware of a recent move)
If you created MyDMV account before, you can log into that to access the voter registration application.
To register by mail, visit the NY State Board of Elections website to download a Voter Registration Form. The form provides the mailing address for your local Board of Elections.
What happens to my voter registration application?
The electronic voter registration application is transferred from DMV to your County or City Board of Elections for review. Once processed, your County or City will notify you either that you are registered to vote or additional information is needed to complete your application. (Please allow up to six weeks to hear from the Board of Elections in your County or City. If after 6 weeks you have not heard from them, contact them at the phone number or address provided on the New York State Board of Elections website.)
The DMV does not approve or deny voter registration applications. We only send the application to the County or City Board of Elections for their review.