ID card fees & refunds

The charts below show the fees to renew or get a first-time (original) non-driver ID. 


Lost, stolen, or destroyed plates

My vehicle plates were lost, stolen or destroyed. What can I do?

You must surrender the vehicle registration to the DMV. 

If two vehicle plates are lost, stolen or destroyed (or one plate if the vehicle was issued only one plate, e.g. motorcycles), you need to notify the police, and ask the police to complete a police report.  Bring police report to a DMV office to surrender the vehicle registration.

Temporary surrender of vehicle plates (store plates for a season)

Surrender plates temporarily or for a season

You can surrender your vehicle plates at a local DMV office and reinstate the registration later. For example, you can surrender your vehicle plates and cancel liability insurance when you take your vehicle off the road for the winter.

Surrender in an office

Bring your plates to a local DMV office and request a ‘receipt for transfer’. Do not request a registration fee ‘refund receipt’.

Surrender (return or turn in) your plates to the DMV

When you need to surrender plate(s)

  • Before you end the vehicle's liability insurance coverageIf you do not turn in your plate(s), we will suspend your registration and can suspend your driver license.
  • If you want to register your vehicle in another stateYou must surrender your New York State vehicle plates to the New York DMV.



Subscribe to New York State Department of Motor Vehicles RSS