Open a repair or body shop
To become a registered Repair Shop with the New York State DMV, you must
- consult the DMV Commissioner’s Motor Vehicle Repair & Body Shop Regulations (CR-82)
- download and read the Repair & Body Shop business requirements (VS-145)
- submit the Original Facility Application with all required documentation
- review the Repair Shop Zoning Requirements Letter (VS-146)
You can also call the DMV Office of Vehicle Safety and Clean Air at 1-518-474-4653 to get the forms, or call 1-518-474-0919 to get more information.
How to apply
You must submit
- Original Facility Application
- proof that you have permission to use the property at the business location (notarized statement from property owner, lease (may be contingent on facility approval), sub-lease with primary lease, mortgage, deed or receipted tax bill)
- proof of zoning: See the Repair Shop Zoning Requirements Letter (VS-146) for the specific requirements
- your Sales Tax ID number and a copy of your Sales Tax Certificate of Authority (you may need a FEIN from the IRS before this step)
- proof of Workers Compensation Insurance for your employees (if you do not have employees, indicate that on the application) you can visit the NY State Workers Compensation Board website for instructions on this process
- a photocopy of driver license(s) or other government issued photo ID for everyone listed on the application
- a receipt for your purchase of the repair shop sign 1
- all required fees, via a check payable to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles (Note: you may need to submit a separate check for MV-50 fees if also applying to become a dealer)
- a Filing Receipt from NY State Department of State (Corporation or LLC) or a Business Certificate from the County Clerk (individual using assumed name or partnership)
Proof of zoning
If you do not have proof of zoning, do not submit an application with DMV yet!
Review the Repair Shop Zoning Requirements Letter (VS-146) for specific zoning requirements.
Certificate of Authority
If you do not have your Certificate of Authority yet, do not submit an application with DMV yet!
The Certificate of Authority and Sales Tax ID number are issued by the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance (DTF). You may apply by visiting the NY State DTF website. Be sure to record your Sales Tax ID on the Original Facility Application.
Proof of Business Name
If you do not have your Proof of Business Name yet, do not submit an application with DMV yet!
- Corporations and LLCs: You must submit a copy of your Filing Receipt from the Department of State. Instructions to file can be found on the NY State Department of State website.
- Partnerships and Individuals Using an Assumed Name: You must submit a copy of your “Business Certificate of Assumed Name”. Contact your county clerk to obtain your business certificate.
Proof of Workers Compensation Insurance
If you do not have your proof of Workers Compensation Insurance yet, do not submit an application with DMV yet!
If you have any employees (family included) you must submit proof of Workers Compensation Insurance. You can visit the NY State Workers Compensation Board website for instructions on this process. If you do not have any employees, indicate that on your application.
Click here for more Workers Compensation Insurance Information.
Send by mail
You must submit a hard copy of your application, associated documents and fee to this address:
Bureau of Consumer & Facility Services
P.O. Box 2700
Albany, NY 12220-0700
DMV's Vehicle Safety’s Application Processing Unit will contact you.
Once your application is complete and accurate you will be issued a repair shop registration.
Note: Mobile Repair Shops require an on-site investigation. For more information contact Application Processing at 1-518-474-0919.
Official repair shop sign
DMV does not provide official repair shop signs. You may purchase these signs from various sign shops and automotive supply stores. See Motor Vehicle Repair & Body Shop Regulations CR-82 (82.7) for specific requirements.