All driver licenses and permits that expired March 1, 2020, or after are extended by Executive Order at least through April 30, 2021. In addition, the federal REAL ID enforcement deadline has been extended until October 1, 2021. Generally, you cannot renew a permit and will need to take a road test or apply for a new permit before your permit expires.
Getting a permit is the first step to get your driver license. You must be 16 or older and must apply in person at a DMV office.
Green Light Law
See information on how to apply for a learner permit under New York State's Green Light Law.
Get your permit
What you need to apply
Prepare for written test
Take a road test to get your driver license
After you get your permit, you can drive with certain restrictions.
Existing permit holders
- Find a driving school
- Younger driver resources
- Older driver resources
- Motorcycle Safety Awareness Training
- Driver medical conditions
- Military & Veteran resources
- NY State Address Confidentiality Program for victims of domestic violence, stalking, sexual offense, and/or human trafficking
- NY State Adventure license/permit
- Information about Enhanced, REAL ID, and Standard permits
- If a family member has died
- Resources for non-US citizens