Getting a permit is the first step to get your driver license. You must be 16 or older and must apply in person at a DMV office.
Green Light Law
See information on how to apply for a learner permit under New York State's Green Light Law.
Get your permit
When you apply for a permit, you will need to provide proof of identification and take a written test.
What you need to apply
Prepare for written test
Take a road test to get your driver license
After you get your permit, you can drive with certain restrictions.
Existing permit holders
- Find a driving school
- Younger driver resources
- Older driver resources
- Motorcycle Safety Awareness Training
- Driver medical conditions
- Military & Veteran resources
- NY State Address Confidentiality Program for victims of domestic violence, stalking, sexual offense, and/or human trafficking
- NY State Adventure license/permit
- Information about Enhanced, REAL ID, and Standard permits
- If a family member has died
- Resources for non-US citizens