Getting a permit is the first step to get your driver license. You must be 16 or older and must apply in person at a DMV office.
Green Light Law
See information on how to apply for a learner permit under New York State's Green Light Law.
Get your permit
You will first apply for your permit and take a written exam. Find an office location and see if a reservation is necessary for written test.
Prepare for written test
Apply in DMV office
- Steps for getting a learner permit
- Steps for getting a motorcycle permit
- Vision requirements & restrictions
- Proofs of identification
- Fees & refunds
- DMV office locations
Take road test to get your driver license
After you get your permit, you can drive with certain restrictions.
Existing permit holders
- Younger driver resources
- Older driver resources
- Motorcycle Safety Awareness Training
- Driver medical conditions
- Military & Veteran resources
- NY State Address Confidentiality Program for victims of domestic violence, stalking, sexual offense and/or human trafficking
- NY State Adventure license/permit
- Information about Enhanced, REAL ID and Standard permits
- If a family member has died
- Resources for non US citizens