Getting a permit is the first step to get your driver license. You must be 16 or older and must apply in person at a DMV office.
We recommend you conduct your DMV business at the office or by mail in the County where you are a resident.
Green Light Law
See information on how to apply for a learner permit under New York State's Green Light Law.
Get your permit
What you need to apply
- Steps for getting a driver learner permit
- Steps for getting a motorcycle permit
- Vision requirements
- Proofs of identification
- DMV office locations
Prepare for written test
Take road test to get your driver license
After you get your permit, you can drive with certain restrictions.
Existing permit holders
- Find a driving school
- Younger driver resources
- Older driver resources
- Motorcycle Safety Awareness Training
- Driver medical conditions
- Military & Veteran resources
- NY State Address Confidentiality Program for victims of domestic violence, stalking, sexual offense and/or human trafficking
- NY State Adventure license/permit
- Information about Enhanced, REAL ID and Standard permits
- If a family member has died
- Resources for non US citizens