Vehicle (or license) plates are a metal plate attached to a vehicle or trailer for official identification purposes. You will receive plates when you register your vehicle for the first time.
The voting for New York State's new license plate is now closed. Thank you to everyone who participated in the survey. See the winning plate.
Get plates for the first time
You cannot transfer your plates to another person. You can only transfer ownership (title or transferrable registration). See information on how to transfer ownership.
I already have New York plates
- Replace plates
- Renew plates (registration)
- Lost, stolen or destroyed plates
- Peeling or damaged plates
- Check the plate order mailing status
- Check your vehicle registration (plate) information and status
If you are moving a vehicle that does not have plates yet, you will need
People with disabilities
Picture and Professional Custom Plates
A picture or professional plate is a vehicle plate that has the words "New York" contained in a blue banner, and a picture or logo next to the plate number.
Browse plates by category
- I Love NY Adventure Plates
- Military and Veterans
- Counties and Regions of NY State
- Colleges, Fraternities, Sororities
- Motorcycle Plates
Personalized plates are standard series plates that have a combination of numbers and letters that you select, for an additional fee in addition to your regular vehicle registration fee.