How to order personalized plates
Many picture plates can also be personalized. You can browse our collection of picture plates online. The categories are:
- I Love NY Adventure
- Military and Veterans
- Counties and Regions of NY State
- Colleges, Fraternities, Sororities
- Motorcycle Plates
To order personalized plates online:
- You must have a valid New York State vehicle registration in the passenger, commercial or motorcycle registration class that does not expire within 60 days.
- The mailing address on your vehicle registration record must be your current mailing address.
- Your vehicle registration record must match your current name if your name has changed.
- You must provide your current plate number, the 3-letter registration class code and the first three letters of your last name. See a sample registration document.
- You must have a credit card that DMV accepts, and a valid email address for confirmation purposes.
To order personalized plates by mail, use the Application for Custom Plates (PDF) (CP-30).
Mail the completed form and your payment to:
Custom Plates Unit
P.O. Box 2775
Albany, NY 12220
At a DMV office
You can save yourself a trip. It’s faster and easier to do it online.
When to expect your new plates and registration
- In approximately 10 days or less after your order is processed, you will receive new registration documents that show your current plate number and your new plate combination.
- Allow at least six weeks for the custom plates to arrive
- Your new registration documents will be mailed separately from your new custom plates
- If you do not receive your registration documents within two weeks or your custom plates within six weeks, contact the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838.
- Do not return your old plates to DMV upon receipt of the new plates.
Destroy your old plates
Once you receive your new plates you will want to destroy your old plates to protect against fraudulent use. Mark each vehicle plate with a permanent marker or cut each plate into pieces. Consider separating the plates when you recycle, and putting one plate in your recycling bin each week. To avoid an inaccurate cancellation of plates, do not return your old plates to DMV.
- 1. You can’t order personalized plates before your vehicle is registered, when renewing your registration, or before transferring a registration. You must have a registration windshield sticker, receipt and regular series plates issued by DMV before ordering personalized plates.
- 2. To order personalized plates for people with disabilities that have the Universal Symbol of Access, call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838. Office hours are 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday through Thursday.
- 3. If your registration expires within the next 60 days, renew your registration before you order personalized plates.
- 4. Change your address online before ordering personalized plates.
- 5. You must visit a DMV office to change your name on all DMV records and documents. Learn more about how to change your name.
- 6. We accept American Express, Discover, MasterCard and VISA.
- 7. Some picture or professional plates can’t be purchased by mail.
- 8. Some plates are not available by phone. Professional, emergency services, veterans and some organization plates are limited to membership and must be ordered through the organization or directly from the Custom Plates Unit, with documentation.