How to replace or transfer personalized plates
There are a variety of circumstances in which you can replace or transfer personalized plates. See specific instructions below.
Personalized plates that are old or damaged
To replace your personalized plates that are old or damaged, you must call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838. Office hours are 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.
You will need to pay a fee
- $28.75 for passenger vehicle plates
- $18.75 for motorcycle plates
Replace the personalized plates with different personalized plates or personalized picture plates
To replace your current personalized plates with new custom plates or personalized plates, you must call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838. Office hours are 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday through Friday. You will need to pay a fee.
Replace personalized picture plates and with a different picture plates
If the category of plate you want allows personalized combinations containing the number of characters on your current plates, you may have the combination (your personalized plate number) on your new custom plates. Most picture plates require a $31.25 annual personalized fee in addition to the $31.25 custom plate fee. You must also pay a plate fee for the new plates, but you will get credit for the custom plate fees you already paid on your current registration.
Transfer a current set of personalized plates to a new vehicle that I plan to purchase
If the registrant and registration class will not change, instruct the automobile dealer to transfer your personalized plates to your new vehicle. If you purchase the vehicle from a private person, ask the DMV to transfer your personalized plates when you register the vehicle.
Keeping personalize plates if I take my vehicle off the road
You will receive a receipt (form FS-6T) when you surrender your personalized plates. Verify the information listed on the receipt, and make sure that the receipt displays the words, "Stored at Local Office,” and keep this receipt. We will indicate on the registration record that the vehicle plates have been stored.
To register the vehicle again, or to use your stored personalized plates to register another vehicle, you must visit the DMV office that has your vehicle plates. Make sure that you bring the receipt (form FS-6T) and the other documents required to register your vehicle.
- 1. For example: You have IMJOE standard series personalized plates, with an annual fee of $31.25 ($62.50 per two-year registration). You order IMJOE on a picture plate (e.g., NASCAR, Yankees) and pay the $62.50 annual custom plate fee ($125 at the next two-year renewal in addition to other renewal fees), plus plate and document fees.
- 2. The online custom plate order system cannot give you credit for the custom plate fees you have already paid on your current registration, but the Custom Plates Unit can.
- 3. The policy to store vehicle plates is different in each office.