Register a New Vehicle
Here is What You will Need to do to Register Your New Vehicle
1. Get your vehicle insured
You must register your vehicle with the DMV within 180 days of the effective date on your insurance ID card.
2. We will help you determine what forms and documents you'll need to submit.
3. Fill out required forms online and submit with required documents.
4. Submit payment after your application has been approved (you will receive a link via email).
Please Be Aware of the Following
You Must Register Your Vehicle
You or your business must register and title any vehicle you own or lease. Registrations do not need to be in the owner's name, or for only one person. Auto dealers can register and title vehicles, and issue plates (and charge a fee for this).
See more information about registering different types of vehicles and special situations.
After Registration, the DMV Will Mail You:
- 1 or 2 vehicle plates (unless you transfer a registration from another vehicle registered in New York)
- Registration window sticker
- Registration document
- 10-day inspection extension sticker (if you did not get the vehicle from a New York State auto dealer)
- If applicable, we will also send you a new title certificate (within 90 days)
Get Your Vehicle Inspected
All vehicles registered in New York State must get a safety inspection at a DMV-licensed inspection station
- Every 12 months
- When the ownership of the vehicle is transferred
Fees and Payment
The fees depend on the vehicle's weight and where you live. First-time registration fees normally include
- the sales tax
- a vehicle plate fee or registration transfer fee
- a title certificate fee
- (in most counties) a vehicle use tax
- either a 1 or 2-year registration fee, depending on the type of registration
You can estimate the registration fees you will need to pay.
Payment: If you apply by mail or at a DMV office, you can pay by credit/debit card or a check or money order made out to Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. To apply online, you must use a credit/debit card. The DMV accepts:
- American Express® Card
- Discover Card®/Novus®
- MasterCard® Debit card without personal identification number (PIN)
- VISA® Card
- Visa Debit Card without personal identification number (PIN)