Apply for a Salvage Vehicle Examination
Important: Salvage Vehicle Application
The DMV has a new Salvage Examination/Title Application (PDF) (MV-83SAL). This form replaces the MV-899 and MV-82 to apply for a Salvage Vehicle exam. The MV-83SAL
- clearly shows what fees apply to you
- can be completed online and printed like other DMV forms
- includes a handy checklist to help you avoid missing documents
You may now include an email address for notification of your salvage exam. This will allow for appointments to be scheduled sooner.
DMV no longer accepts the MV-899/MV-82TON applications.
How can I apply?
You can only apply for a salvage vehicle examination by mail. Download the Salvage Examination/Title Application (pdf) (MV-83SAL). Read the directions carefully and provide all requested information. Send the form, required documents and payment to
Auto Theft & Salvage, DFI
P.O. Box 2105
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12220-0105
How much is the application fee?
- $200 - if you have a NY State Salvage Certificate (MV-907A) as proof of ownership
- $205 - if your proof of ownership is not a NY State Salvage Certificate (MV-907A)
Pay by check (starter checks not accepted) or money order, payable to ‘Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.’
How will I know when my appointment will be?
The DMV will mail you a letter with
- the date and the time of your examination appointment
- the location
- directions to the examination facility
How can I change or cancel my Examination Appointment?
By telephone or email. You can change or cancel your scheduled examination one time per application. You must notify the DMV at least two business days before the examination date.
Your cancellation request must include
- the name of the person on the letter from the DMV
- the date of the scheduled appointment
- the location of the appointment
- the case number
- the last five digits of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- a daytime telephone number
Call the DMV at 1-518- 474-0955. Only use this number to cancel or change a salvage vehicle examination appointment.
Email the DMV Division of Field Investigations at [email protected] Only use this address to change or cancel a salvage vehicle examination appointment. The DMV will not reply to other messages sent to this email address.