Change name on title after lease buyout

When you purchase a vehicle from a leasing company, you must have the title issued in your name.  The title must be issued in your name before you can sell or transfer the vehicle. You can transfer the title by mail or at a DMV office.


By mail


See location, instructions and reservation information for your DMV

Mail these items 

  • proof of identity such as a copy of your NYS Driver License, Permit, or Non-Driver ID card (must be current or not expired for more than 2 years) - if you don’t have one you can provide other types of proof
  • the New York State title or other acceptable proof of ownership. The title must have completed
    • buyer and seller information (both the leasing company and the buyer must provide their signatures, dates of transfer, and addresses)
    • odometer and damage disclosure statements for all vehicles that are 20 years old or newer, starting with model year 2011
  • proof of payment of the sales tax.  Acceptable proofs are
    • an FS-6T receipt issued by DMV [to get an FS-6T, you must obtain a Claim for Sales Tax Exemption (DTF-803) from the leasing company and a bill of sale and bring these items to a local DMV office]
    • a Dealer Retail Certificate of Sale (MV-50) completed by a dealer located in New York State

  • payment for the $50.00 title fee in the form of a check or money order made payable to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.


NYS DMV Title Services
Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228-0331 


At a DMV office


Your title will be mailed to you.

Print this checklist


Where can dealers find information about filing or removing a lien?

See Remove or add a lienholder from a title.