Save time! Start your new registration online
Complete your application for a new (original) registration online and print a barcoded form we can quickly process at a DMV office with E-ZVisit.
You cannot use this service if you
- are not the vehicle owner
- are registering for a corporate entity
- purchased the vehicle from a dealer (this is only for private sales)
- already registered your vehicle in New York and you need to renew it 1
or, if the vehicle is
- an ATV, boat, motorcycle, snowmobile, trailer or older than model year 1973
- destroyed or damaged and the costs to repair is or was more than 75% of its retail value
You will need these items to complete the E-ZVisit transaction and when you visit the DMV to register your vehicle
your NYS license, permit, or non-driver ID
a completed Sales Tax Form (DTF-802)
a printer to print the Registration Application (MV-82EZ) that is generated by the transaction
For quicker service, make a reservation online before visiting offices in New York City, Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Onondaga or Albany Counties.
For all other counties see our office locations and hours.
Do I need to use this service to register my vehicle?
No, you don’t. See
- 1. If your vehicle is already registered in New York and is due to expire, you can renew it online.
- 2. Vehicle Identification Number. If your vehicle's VIN is less than 17-digits, you cannot use this service. See how to
- 3. Sorry. You cannot use this service if your vehicle has an out-of-state title, or if it has a transferable registration instead of a NYS title certificate, such as a
- an ATV, boat, motorcycle, snowmobile or trailer
- vehicle older than model year 1973
Your insurance company will:
1) give you 2 barcoded original NYS ID Cards (see a sample) or provide you with access to your digital electronic NYS Insurance ID Card
2) send an electronic notice of insurance coverage to the DMV (your insurance agent or broker cannot file this notice)
Your NYS Insurance ID Cards and the electronic notice together verify your coverage. We need both.
You must register your vehicle within 45 days of the effective date on your Insurance ID Card. Bring one copy or form of your Insurance Identification Cards with you. The DMV office will keep the paper card. Keep the other paper card with the vehicle as your proof of insurance. Anyone operating your vehicle must be able to provide proof of insurance.
Learn more about NYS Insurance Requirements.