Get proof of ownership at purchase

If you purchase a vehicle from a dealer

A DMV-licensed automobile dealer must have acceptable proof of ownership for a vehicle before they can sell that vehicle to you. Most NY State automobile dealers send the application for your vehicle registration and title certificate to the DMV. The dealer can charge a fee of $175 for this service.

The proof of ownership for a new vehicle is the

  • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO)

or the

  • Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO), and
  • Retail Certificate of Sale (MV-50) (aka 'Dealer's Bill of Sale'). The proof of ownership for a used vehicle is the title certificate that the previous owner signed to transfer the ownership to the dealer and a form MV-50 that the dealer signs to transfer ownership to you. Out-of-state dealers use a different bill of sale form.

If you cannot get acceptable proof of ownership from a NY State dealer, see how to report a problem with a DMV regulated automotive business.

If you purchase or receive the vehicle as a gift from another person

If you buy a vehicle, a boat, an ATV, or a snowmobile from another person who is not a DMV-licensed automobile dealer or receive it as a gift, make sure that you receive acceptable proof of ownership.

Bill of Sale

Proof of ownership normally includes a bill of sale. The DMV does not provide a form for a bill of sale.  Learn about bills of sale.