How to apply for a title certificate only

How do I apply for a title certificate only, and not for a registration or vehicle plates?

Use the Application for Title Only (MV-82TON) form. Follow the instructions carefully.

Do not use this form to

  • apply for both a vehicle registration and a title certificate at the same time
  • replace a lost title certificate

See how to register and title a vehicle, or how to replace a title certificate.

For your convenience, many DMV PDF forms can be filled in online and then printed.