How to change the name on a title after lease buyout

If you purchased the vehicle from a New York State Dealer

You do not have to go to a DMV.  You can submit the following items and your title will be mailed to you:

  • completed Vehicle Registration/Title Application (PDF) (MV-82) or Application for Title (PDF) (MV-82TON)
  • proof of identity such as a NYS License, Permit, or Non-Driver ID card (must be current or not expired for more than 2 years) - if you don’t have one you can provide other types of proof.
  • New York State or out-of-state title with completed
    • buyer and seller information
    • odometer and damage disclosure statements for all vehicles manufactured in or after the 2011 model year that are 20 model years old or newer
  • Retail Certificate of Sale (MV-50)
  • lien release(s), if appropriate
  • payment for the $50.00 fee

If you purchased a vehicle directly from a leasing company, you must go to a DMV

See location, instructions and reservation information for your DMV

Bring the following items to the DMV: 


The title certificate must be mailed to you; a DMV office cannot give you the title certificate.


For a detailed explanation of each item, go to: 



Vehicle Registration / Title Application (MV-82)

Application for Title Only (MV-82TON)

Statement of Transaction {Sales Tax Form} Sale or Gift of Motor Vehicle, ATV, Vessel (Boat) or Snowmobile (DTF-802)