How to estimate registration fees and taxes
If this is the original registration (first time you register your vehicle), you must pay the
- registration fee
- vehicle plate fee
- county use tax
- sales tax (see sales tax information)
- title certificate fee of $50.00
- MCTD 1 fee for the following 12 counties only: Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island), Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk, and Westchester
If you transfer the registration and plates from another vehicle, you don’t need to pay the plate fees or MCTD fee, and you may be able to transfer the registration fees to your new vehicle.
Estimate fees and taxes online
The online estimates DOES NOT include the sales tax. 2
You can also use these charts to estimate your registration fees, use taxes, and supplemental fees for
Sorry, you cannot use the online service to estimate fees and taxes for trailers or boats (see instructions below).
Estimate trailer and boat registration fees
Trailer and boat registration fees are calculated differently. You can’t use the online service to estimate them. See register a trailer, or register a boat for how to estimate these registration fees.
- 1. Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District
- 2. You don’t need to pay sales tax when you register if you show DMV acceptable proof that you paid the sales tax when you bought the vehicle, or if the registration is tax exempt. See sales tax information.