How to get in-transit vehicle permits (temporary registrations)

Bring a vehicle from another state to register in New York

If you purchase a vehicle in another state, you will need to go through that state's DMV office to get a temporary plate and registration to transport the vehicle to New York.  Once the vehicle is in New York, you will need to follow the steps to register and title a vehicle here.

Take a vehicle purchased in New York to another state

You can apply for an interstate in-transit permit, which will allow you to transport a vehicle from a location in New York State to a location outside of New York State.

Bring a vehicle purchased in New York State to another part of the state to register 

You can apply for an an intrastate in-transit permit, which will allow you to transport a vehicle from a location within New York to another location within New York.

In-transit permits duration

They are valid 30 days.



Apply for an in-transit permit

Submit these items to a DMV office

Acceptable proof of insurance if you are not a resident of New York State

If you are not a resident of New York State, you may submit one of these proofs of insurance

  • A letter from an out-of-state agent/broker if coverage has been purchased from an out-of-state insurance company.  The letter must be on agent/broker letterhead and must contain the
    • name of insurance company
    • policy number and expiration date
    • effective date
    • insured's name and address
    • vehicle information including year, make and VIN
  • An Insurance Binder. This form is usually an 8 1/2" by 11" page that says ‘Insurance Binder’ at the top. The binder must contain
    • the name and address of the producer
    • the name and address of the insured
    • the name of the insurance company
    • the effective and expiration dates of the policy
    • a complete vehicle description including year, make and VIN
    • In the center of the form is a category titled "Automobile Liability". One of these boxes must be checked
      • Any Auto
      • All Owned Autos
      • Scheduled Autos

Not all vehicles need proof of insurance to apply for a vehicle permit

Vehicles that do not require insurance in New York State (e.g. light trailers) are not required to present proof of insurance.

Original insurance cards

All Insurance ID Cards must be original documents. A letter or an insurance binder can be an original document or a fax sent to a DMV office by the insurer. Photocopies are not acceptable.


Non-New York State Residents can apply

You do not need to be a New York State resident to apply for an in-transit permit.


  1. 1. Proof of ownership can be
    • Certificate of Title (MV-999)
    • Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO)
    • Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO)
    • Statement of Ownership (MV-51B)
    • Findings DMV Administrative Hearing
    • Transferable Registration
  2. 2. You must be at least 16 years old (except for ATV and boat registrations).
    You can use a New York State
    • driver license
    • learner permit, or
    • non-driver ID card
    that is current or expired less than 2 years as proof of both identity and age.
    If you don’t have one of these, see other kinds of proof you can use.
  3. 3. For intrastate permits, you may also need to pay title or lien fees and sales tax.
  4. 4. These proofs of insurance are acceptable
    • NY State Insurance ID Card (FS -20 or FS-21) 
    • Insurance Certificate – For Hire Passenger Vehicle (FH-1 or FH-2)
    • Corporate Surety Bond – For Hire Passenger Vehicle (FH-1B or FH-2B)
    • Temporary NY State Insurance Identification Card (FS-75) 
      • The preparation date must be 7 days or less from the date of your application for the vehicle permit. Additionally, the Temporary Insurance ID Card (FS-75) must have "in-transit" or "in-transit permit" printed or written on it, and you must provide an In-transit Cancellation Authorization form (this is not a DMV form) from the insurance agent or broker who prepared the card.

    See sample insurance documents.

For your convenience, many DMV PDF forms can be filled in online and then printed.