How to Order Excelsior Plates
DMV now issues Excelsior vehicle license plates.
You do not need to get Excelsior plates when you renew your registration
You can keep your current plates or order Excelsior plates.
When you are eligible to get Excelsior plates
You will get Excelsior plates when you
- apply to replace plates that are lost or stolen
- apply for a new (original) registration and do not transfer the plates or registration from another vehicle
- order new personalized plates
You have the option to order Excelsior plates
- when you renew your registration online, by mail or at a DMV office
- to replace your current non-Excelsior plates (when your registration is not due for renewal)
We recommend you conduct your DMV business at the office or by mail in the County where you are a resident.
How to order
You can order Excelsior plates online or at a DMV office . The new plates and registration documents will be sent to you separately in the mail. In most cases, you will receive the new registration documents in the mail before you receive your plates.
To avoid traffic tickets, put the new registration document on your vehicle even if your new plates have not yet arrived. Put the new plates on your vehicle as soon as you receive them.
To order online, you must provide
- the vehicle plate number
- vehicle class what is this?
- your name
- your ZIP Code (on DMV records)
You do not need to get new Excelsior plates and pay a plate fee when you renew. You can renew and keep your current plates.
If you need a new plate, or you choose to get new Excelsior plates, you need to pay a plate fee.
- the fee for a set of two vehicle plates is $25
- the fee for a single plate (for example, a plate for a trailer or motorcycle) is $12.50
There is an additional $3.75 plate exchange transaction fee to order Excelsior plates when there is not a registration renewal.
Keeping your same plate number
If your vehicle is registered in the one of the classes listed below, you can keep the same plate number from your current plates on your new Excelsior plates for an additional fee of $20.00.
- passenger (PAS)
- commercial (COM)
- motorcycle (MOT)
- trailer (TRL)
- other specific registration classes - see a list of registration classes eligible for Excelsior plates and keep the same plate number
I have personalized plates. Can I keep the same plate number if I request Excelsior plates?
Yes. You can get new Excelsior plates and keep your personalized plate number when you renew your registration.
In addition to your renewal fee, you’ll need to pay the new plate fee ($25 plate fee for a set of two new plates, or $12.50 for vehicles that receive single plates). You will not be charged an additional fee to keep your same number, because you currently pay an annual personalized plate fee.
If your personalized plate number is not due for renewal and you’d like to replace immediately, please call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838. Office hours are 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday through Thursday.
What to do with your old plates
When you receive your new Excelsior plates, do not return your old plate(s) to the DMV. Recycle your old plates based on local guidelines.
For a statewide list of local recycling coordinators, visit the website of the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation.
Before you recycle your old plates, use a permanent ink marker to cross out the plate number or otherwise deface the plates. For your own protection, separate the plates and put them in the recycle bin during different weeks.
- 1. NYC T&LC, Westchester T&LC, Nassau T&LC, NYC Standby and NYC Medallion vehicles are not eligable for Exclesior plates during a registration renewal.
- 2. Not all registration classes are eligable to order new Excelsior plates through the online transaction. See more information about how to replace your custom picture plates or personalized plates with new Excelsior plates.