Register an imported vehicle
How to register
To register an imported vehicle in New York, the vehicle must
You must provide the DMV:
- acceptable U.S. Customs and Border Protection documents
- acceptable proof of ownership of an imported vehicle
- all other documents needed to register and title a vehicle
You must provide a certified English translation of any document printed in any language except English.
KEI-Class vehicles cannot be registered or titled in New York State. (Authority: Section 400-a of NYS VTL)
Acceptable U.S. Customs and Border Protection documents
The DMV accepts the following U.S. Customs and Border Protection documents
- CBP Form 368 - Collection Receipt or Informal Entry
- CBP Form 7523 - Entry and Manifest of Merchandise Free of Duty, Carrier's Certificate of Release
- CBP Form 3299 - Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles
- CBP Form 3311 - Declaration for Free Entry of Returned American Products
- CBP Form - 7501 Entry Summary
- CBP Form - 6059B Customs Declaration
Acceptable proof of ownership documents
The DMV accepts the following documents as proof of ownership of an imported vehicle
- Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) for a new vehicle manufactured for export to the US.
- New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) for a new vehicle manufactured in Canada and never registered.
- Manufacturer's Invoice (copy) for a new vehicle not manufactured for export to the US and never registered.
- Certificate of Title or equivalent document for a used vehicle or a new vehicle registered before in another country. The DMV can also require a statement from the motor vehicle authorities in that country that the document is equivalent to a title certificate
- Military Registration and Certificate of Title of Motor Vehicle (DD-430) for a vehicle with a registration and title certificate issued by the US Armed Forces. Only form DD-430 is accepted to issue an NYS title certificate. Other US Armed Forces documents are accepted to issue an NYS registration only. You must provide acceptable proof of ownership to receive an NYS title certificate or transferable registration.
- 1. Contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection at the nearest Port of Entry, or visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website (https://www.cbp.gov/) for information about (A) vehicles imported by US residents, and (B) vehicles imported by non-residents and returning members of the US government or the US Armed Forces.
The DMV can require your vehicle to comply with the minimum NYS safety and emissions standards even if your vehicle meets or is exempt from federal safety and emissions standards.